Kristie's Reviews > The Best Laid Plans

The Best Laid Plans by Lauren Gallagher

The things I loved:
An already committed married couple
An amazing and strong best female friend
Honest conversations not only between the married couple, but all three of them
Understanding and openness
Real family issues I could relate to in some way or another
Extreme chemistry between all parties involved
Openness to exploration
Not sticking to labels and redefining themselves as they fit together

I could go on for a very long time, I think. This book explores a very loving couple, Shahid and Gabe, looking to adopt, and getting turned down over and over. They’re getting to the end of their patience and are really getting discouraged. The problem? It’s not, supposedly, that they’re a gay couple. Nope. It’s religion. Shahid is Muslim, and that’s what they’re being told is the issue. Sadly, I’m willing to bet this is something that has happened to couples before.

When Shahid and Gabe think there might not be anything left for them to do, their very good friend Kendra, she offers to step in and be s surrogate. Awesome, right? It really is. She’s not only willing to do this because they’re great friends, but because she’s an amazing person. She knows that her friends would make amazing parents, and she’s willing to do whatever they need to help them out.

Attraction helps them in the efforts to conceive, but conceiving actually seems to be a problem. What isn’t the problem is how their friendship and attraction turns into something more. This is where open communication and the honesty they share with each other works so well in the story. Sure, there is conflict and insecurities, but what they have, the friendship and relationship that was already so solid, is something none of them are willing to give up.

This story is a bit long, but the author is careful to not gloss over things. Everything that happens is necessary and it feels really good in the end. A book about mature adults, all working together to um, work together. I really appreciated that, quite a lot.

Recommended.

Thank you to NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best Laid Plans.

January 23, 2016 – Started Reading