Stephanie Noel's Reviews > Time of Useful Consciousness

Time of Useful Consciousness by Jennifer Ott

it was ok

I picked this book up because I really like historical fiction especially books during this period. I also thought the book should a unique perspective from the point of view of the Germans and how their life was affected by the events of World War 2. It also shows like how it was like after the war and when it was occupied by the allies.I also thought some of the supporting characters like Colonel Taylor was understanding and liked how he tried to be a father figure to Louisa. That said there was a lot of things I didn't really like about the book. I really thought the main character Louisa started out super naive and didn't know how the world. I see this a lot in books where the main character will act like an innocent and delicate person that doesn't know a lot about the world and this girl didn't know anything. I also like Louisa less naive but more like annoying. I mean throughout the story Louisa plays this innocent girl that didn't do anything wrong and yet gets tangled up in a mess due to her brother's mistake. I also think the future part where she was stuck and jail, I think she didn't seem like she was suffering. Louisa got to do whatever she wanted, eat good food and yet she continues to be difficult. I personally am ok with her being stuck in jail. Lastly, I also felt like there was a lack of character growth and the whole plot was rather slow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Time of Useful Consciousness.

January 25, 2016 – Started Reading