Caroline's Reviews > The Shadow Queen

The Shadow Queen by C.J. Redwine

bookshelves: fairy-tale, retelling, ya, fantasy

I haven’t read many of fairy tale retellings, but those that I have read I’ve loved, and The Shadow Queen is no exception!

In this retelling of Snow White and The Huntsman we follow Princess Lorelai in the role of Snow White. She’s no damsel in distress though, when she fled her wicked stepmother, she took to learning to fight and defend herself.

The huntsman in this story is Prince Kol. He’s from a neighboring kingdom of dragon shifters and desperate to save his kingdom from the invading ogre army. So desperate he’d do anything, including making a deal with the evil queen. A deal that goes very wrong.

I loved the chemistry between Lorelai and Kol. On their own they’re great, both strong and willing to do anything for their people. But together? *swoon* Their relationship had a few plot twists that kept things from getting boring.

I loved the magic in this book. The incantations were really interesting and the powers Lorelai and Queen Irina possessed were really cool. Especially Irina’s apples! And everything, including the rivers, trees, and earth, having a ‘heart’ for their magic to call upon for assistance. The authors choice to make Kol from a dragon shifter people was also especially awesome and as soon as I read that I knew I’d be hooked on the story.

There was never a dull moment in this book and I was eager to keep reading (or listening to my Kindle read the book aloud to me at work!)

I think those who love fairy tale retellings will appreciate this rendition. It had all of the staples of Snow White—evil witch, runaway princess, magic, apples, handsome prince, huntsman, hearts—but with the authors own unique magic twists. Plus there are dragon people. How cool is that?

Go buy this book now and read it. Seriously.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow Queen.

January 24, 2016 – Shelved
January 24, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
August 30, 2016 – Started Reading
August 30, 2016 –
23.0% "I love Kol and Lorelai!"
August 31, 2016 –
54.0% "Looooving this story!"
September 4, 2016 –
79.0% "The kiss scene! Ahhh!!! ♡♡♡"
September 6, 2016 –
100.0% "loved it!"
September 27, 2016 – Shelved as: fairy-tale
September 27, 2016 – Shelved as: retelling
September 27, 2016 – Shelved as: ya
September 27, 2016 – Shelved as: fantasy
September 27, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Stormi (Bewitched Reader) Adding this to my TBR list!

message 2: by Anita (new) - added it

Anita Now I want to read it...like now.

Lulu // the Book Rookery Just added to this to my TBR!

message 4: by Curly Carla (new)

Curly Carla Celebrity Readers I love fairy tale retellings. Have you read Cinder and Ella? Great book.

Caroline How did I not see ANY of these comments until now???

No Curly Carla, I haven't! I'll have to get it on my TBR list for 2017!

message 6: by Angel (new) - added it

Angel M Tayup Adding this to my list!

message 7: by DJ (new)

DJ Sakata I've only read Katy Regnery's sexy and contemporary retellings - swoon!

Caroline DJ wrote: "I've only read Katy Regnery's sexy and contemporary retellings - swoon!"

I prefer the innocence of the teen books. This had some lusty scenes, but still innocent. :) If they're not TOO smutty, I'd give Katy Regnery a try!