Renee's Reviews > Her Mother's Hope

Her Mother's Hope by Francine Rivers

Mar 06, 2011

bookshelves: christian-fiction

Her Mother’s Hope by Francine Rivers is a dramatic, engaging story that will take you away to the world of Marta Schneider. Swiss-born Marta has an abusive father and weak mother. She finds a way to leave home, and then her story takes her from Switzerland to England, then to Canada, and finally to California. With German-born husband Nicolas, she raises four children during the time period between WWI and WWII.

Marta is an interesting heroine. Because of her family background and too-trusting husband, she becomes very shrewd, almost calculating. She views life as a struggle and believes the fight has fallen to her, so she battles to make a good life for her family. Her character reminded me of some of the old women in Gone with the Wind and other such novels—the ones who had to become tough in order to farm a plantation and survive life in the South during the Civil War. Those women carried on the family name and built a life for future generations, but they weren’t very likable.

That’s how I felt about Marta, I could sympathize with her, understand her, sometimes admire her, but I didn’t like her very much. However, Francine Rivers is such a talented writer that I could not put this book down! I also read the sequel to this novel, which was just as engaging.

BTW, I have a friend whose background is very similar to Marta’s. She’s a second-generation American, raised by a tough immigrant mother who pushed her to be highly successful. My friend could totally relate to Marta’s story and loved this book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her Mother's Hope.

Finished Reading