SBooks's Reviews > Whispers in the Dark

Whispers in the Dark by Maya Banks

3642022

it was ok
bookshelves: romantic-suspense, paranormal-romance

Very disappointing that Maya Banks decided to introduce paranormal elements to this series. It’s completely messed up the world she established in the other books.

This one read like some sort of homage to Christine Feehan’s books. The characters are standard Banks – alpha male you wouldn’t kick out of bed, and slightly wimpy girl who all the males dote on. It’s fun, but also a tad repetitive.

The cheese factor here was so bad too.

There were some good moments – this is an author who writes very romantic romance – but then there was all the extraneous family stuff that interferes with the suspense. I didn’t sign up for paranormal with KGI, and it’s a pity Banks chose to go in this direction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whispers in the Dark.

Finished Reading
March 6, 2011 – Shelved
January 2, 2012 – Shelved as: romantic-suspense
January 2, 2012 – Shelved as: paranormal-romance

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather The paranormal elements in the series were really disappointing; I decided against buying it and I might try to borrow it.

Stephanie Damn, I have really been looking forward to this book. It really irks me when authors do this within a series. If I want to read PNR, then I pick up that genre. But for craps sakes I want Bank's RS not this hybrid crap!

*Nan* I didn't find the paranormal bad at all. It still read like a good RS book.

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather I couldn't get past the paranormal. I find it strange, really, because I do like paranormal. But I guess because of my expectations from her (and the first three books in the series) this is a deal-breaker for me. I hope that she gets away from that aspect, and maybe I'll consider purchasing the next ones.

Stephanie I am going to give it a whirl, maybe I won't even notice...

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather Let me know what you think, Stephanie!

Stephanie Will do...

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather For me, because that is the only thing about this world that is paranormal, it almost makes it stand out even worse (for me, at least). And not in a good way. But it's great to hear people are enjoying it. Just...not for me.

SBooks It IS paranormal. The characters can absorb other people’s injuries. The heroine’s sister heals the hero’s injured friend through telepathy. They can send each other mental hugs! It was a copy of Christine Feehan’s Ghostwalkers series, which IS marketed as paranormal romance.

Even if it wasn’t a paranormal book, it was far too cheesy. The family and their friends all hug and pray and declare their love for each other.
Who behaves like that in real life? If you’re in a cult perhaps.

SBooks Heather, the next book is about Grace, so I’m guessing it’s going to be even more paranormal than this one. The excerpts I’ve read definitely point to it being very much focused on her magical ability to heal injuries.

Stephanie, you will definitely notice! The entire plot is driven by the special powers the sisters have. I like paranormal in its place, but not introduced halfway through a series.

Amanda you took the words right out of my mind. I was really into this series even though it's not the best written, but now I doubt I'll read another.

SBooks It is a pity, because the series wasn’t great, but it was fun. The third book was really bland, and had a very boring heroine – and I loved Garrett and wanted him to have a great book! – and then this one lost the plot.

The writing is annoying me too. Maya Banks uses the same phrases over and over. It makes all of her books and all of her characters seem the same. It is not fun.

Amanda i'm also hoping that she won't pull the same type of thing as christine feehan's books with finding psychic people and fighting some scientists/government after them. It's so disappointing, you'd think she'd know better or at least her editor.

SBooks I think she’s going that way if the next book is an indication.
Maya Banks is a big fan of Christine Feehan (I’ve seen her talk about it online many times), so it wouldn’t be a surprise. I actually liked the Feehan books I read, but I don’t want a second series with the same concept.

Frances McNeal I'm only part way through this book but it reads just like the last Drake Sister's novel (Elle and Jackson). Elle spoke to Jackson while he was held captive and she helped him escape. It is almost too similar. Hopefully the storyline changes a little. I'm only 40 pages in and was quite shocked at the similarities.

SBooks Frances wrote: "I'm only part way through this book but it reads just like the last Drake Sister's novel (Elle and Jackson). Elle spoke to Jackson while he was held captive and she helped him escape. It is almost..."

Yes! I’ve seen the author admit online to being a Christine Feehan fan, and I’m surprised hardly anyone has made the connection between the two stories. It was SO similar to Elle and Jackson!

Megan Hogue I've just completed book 3 and have just read the synopsis for book 4 (I don't read the synopses of her books until I'm going to read them because I find that it ends up ruining the whole series for me because then the suspense is gone if I know a what's going to happen to a character 4 books down the line, etc). Anyway, just read the synopsis for this book and was STUNNED to see its turning towards the paranormal? Why??????? What bloody sense does that make???????? It's driving me crazy and makes me not want to read the next 2 books. Paranormal is fine if that's what you're intending to read, but that's not what I was banking on this series being. Such a disappointment!!!!!

Susanne Very disappointing that Maya Banks decided to introduce paranormal elements to this series.

Awesome review! I couldn't agree more with you!

Laura I do not understand the need for the paranormal. So thankful I'm not alone on this one!!

Lauren I couldn't get past the paranormal element. That wasn't why I started this series. Very disappointed.