Nancy Oakes's Reviews > The Dork of Cork

The Dork of Cork by Chet Raymo

Feb 12, 2008

bookshelves: ireland
Read in March, 2004

The Dork of Cork is actually Francois Bois (Frankie for short) who is 43 years old and 43 inches in height. As a child Frankie would wander the streets of Cork (where he lived with his mother, Bernadette) after dark and take in the sights and sounds of night. At the opening of this book, Frankie has just published a book of his travels & astronomical observations mixed in with memoirs & philosophical waxings called Nightstalk. In The Dork of Cork we get a glimpse of what's in Nightstalk, with the exception that in Nightstalk, the names have been changed to keep them fictional.

The story is SO good that I read every word of it very slowly. It is about Frankie's life and that of his mother Bernadette; the other characters in the story were all a major part of Frankie & Bernadette's life as well. Each played a different role in both of their lives; each had something meaningful and lasting to contribute to Frankie as a child which helped to form his adult years.

I am definitely going to reread this one...very philosophical, funny, tragic all at the same time. I very highly recommend it. You really must spend some time thinking about this one once you've finished it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dork of Cork.