Nancy Oakes's Reviews > Prime Suspect

Prime Suspect by Lynda La Plante

Feb 12, 2008

bookshelves: crime-fiction-uk, mystery-series-first-novel, crime-fiction

I'm not sure because I can't find any info but this may a novelization of the original Prime Suspect movie. I remember like eons ago watching this on PBS and falling in love with Jane Tennison, who I thought was probably the most ballsy woman I'd ever encountered on screen or off. Now, having read the story, my opinion hasn't changed.

In case you've seen it and forgotten the story, it begins with an investigation into the death of a prostitute named Della Mornay. Sadly, the lead investigator dies of a heart attack as the investigation is proceeding, and Jane Tennison is on hand to take up the case. One of the first things she realizes is that the identification of the body was botched, and from there the case takes on an entirely different light. However, that's not the main thrust of the novel. Prime Suspect lets the reader into the backrooms of the police; in this case, into a good-old-boy, chumsy whumsy type situation where women aren't really tolerated, even if they're more than qualified, in fact, BECAUSE they're more than qualified. It also peeks into Tennison's personal life, which she basically sacrifices for her career. All in all, a well-done mystery and well worth the time it takes to read the book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prime Suspect.

Started Reading