Anita's Reviews > Other Side of the Line

Other Side of the Line by Marguerite Labbe

bookshelves: mm-tbr, ir-romance, mm-romance, dbml

I was given this book in exchange for an honest review by the author through the Don't Buy My Love program via the MM Romance Group. Many thanks for the opportunity to read and review.

I have to say that I was somewhat nervous about reading this book. I am a person of color and lived through much of what is described in the book though I lived in the north. I was worried about it either being too preachy or inaccurate. So why did I want to read it - because I love MM romances that take place during a time of upheaval and race relations in the 1960s in the south were volatile. I was so pleased though, because at the end of the day, this was just a story about two kids, one white, one black, Caleb and Hal, who met, became friends against all odds and then developed a relationship. It was almost as if the Vietnam War, segregation - everything that happens is just a backdrop to how these two guys came together. While I loved reading about when they were kids, I would have liked a little more on page stuff when they became adults. Lovely writing style, engaging MCs, accurate storytelling. Just an absolute delight. I think this is my first by this author and will definitely seek out others.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Other Side of the Line.

January 24, 2016 – Shelved