Candace's Reviews > Pretty Girls

Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter

Check out more of my reviews at www.bookaddicthaven.com

Wow! This was one dark and disturbing story. I love dark reads, but this was pretty gruesome for me at times. I was at the edge of my seat from start to finish with this one. I even had nightmares about this book. As I start to write this review, just thinking about it is giving me the chills. It was just that messed up.

When Claire Scott is widowed by her wealthy, seemingly perfect husband, she is left to pick up the pieces. With the FBI and the local police showing a suspiciously high interest in her husband's murder, and the subsequent break-in at their home, Claire does not know what to think. When she stumbles upon some computer files of her husband's, she begins to question the very foundation of her marriage and what she really knew about the man she married.

From beginning to end, this book was full of twist and turns. Everyone was a suspect at some point and you never knew who you could trust. As Claire partnered up with her estranged sister, Lydia, to try and sort through the clues her husband inadvertently left behind, the truth seems to become less and less clear.

Claire's husband, Paul, was not who he said he was. He had secrets...big secrets. The more the sisters unearth, the greater the danger. They can't turn back, but they don't know where to turn for help either.

At the center of this book is a string of missing teenaged/college-aged girls, including Claire and Lydia's own sister, Julia. Unsolved disappearances with undeniable commonalities, which all somehow connect back to Paul. Everything is not as it seems though. Claire begins to suspect that there is involvement at the highest levels, protecting those responsible for these horrible crimes.

If you like psychological suspense/thrillers, then this is a great story. Be forewarned, this book is very graphic and downright gory. It contains detailed descriptions of barbaric torture, sexual assault and murder. The sick and twisted actions of this serial killer are not left to the imagination. If you cannot handle the graphic descriptions of torture, then this is not a book for you. I'm a big fan of dark stories and it gave me a nightmare or two.

Overall, I thought that it was a fantastic story. It was suspenseful and kept me in a hyper-vigilant state until every question had been answered. I had chills while listening to this story. This has got to be one of the most screwed up, disturbing stories that I've "read".

I listened to the Audible version of this book and it was great. The narration was well-done. I found it to be an excellent audiobook selection that was easy to follow. The mood and emotions were conveyed clearly, which is sometimes hard to come by in an audiobook. I could almost touch the fear and the anxiety in "Claire's" voice. Kudos to the narrator(s).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretty Girls.

January 24, 2016 – Shelved
January 12, 2017 – Shelved as: rich-guys
January 12, 2017 – Shelved as: shocking-twists
January 12, 2017 – Shelved as: wtf-did-i-just-read
January 12, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)

Aira Karina is it good ? its been in my TBR forever

Candace Airakarina wrote: "is it good ? its been in my TBR forever"

It is great, if you like psychological suspense and really dark content. If not, it might be too creepy. :) xoxo

♥Sharon♥ Great review Candace. I love KS but haven't read this one yet. Check out her Will Trent series if you haven't already. :)

message 4: by Mo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mo Great review Candace.

Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" Fantastic review Candace! This one seems a really good one!!! Added to my TBR. <3

message 6: by Sophia (new)

Sophia Triad Great review Candace :) x

message 7: by Alp (new)

Alp Fab review, Candace. :)

message 8: by Francoise (new)

Francoise Awesome review, Candace! :)

Candace ♥Sharon♥ wrote: "Great review Candace. I love KS but haven't read this one yet. Check out her Will Trent series if you haven't already. :)"

Thanks, Sharon! I'll definitely be checking out more of her work. I'll have to add that series to my TBR list. :) xoxo

Candace Francoise wrote: "Awesome review, Candace! :)"

Alp wrote: "Fab review, Candace. :)"

Sophia wrote: "Great review Candace :) x"

Mo wrote: "Great review Candace."

Thanks so much, ladies! :) xoxo

Candace Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" wrote: "Fantastic review Candace! This one seems a really good one!!! Added to my TBR. <3"

Thanks, Sophie! It is great in a twisted way. Enjoy! :) xoxo

Victoria Great review, Candace! I've been wanting to read this one for quite awhile. I think I'll bump it up. :)

message 13: by Lo Bookfrantic (new)

Lo Bookfrantic Fantastic review Candace! I really need to check this one out soon.

Jenny••Steamy Reads Blog•• Wonderful review, hun!! xx

message 15: by Christy (new)

Christy Fabulous review, Candace! x

Karla Fantastic review, Candace! This book was a rollercoaster for sure! :)

message 17: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Wonderful review Candace! :)

message 18: by Coco.V (new)

Coco.V Fab review, Candace ! :) xx

Candace Isabella wrote: "Wow, fantastic review Candace! Absolutely inspired, I have to read this! ;)"

Coco.V wrote: "Fab review, Candace ! :) xx"

Sandra wrote: "Wonderful review Candace! :)"

Karla wrote: "Fantastic review, Candace! This book was a rollercoaster for sure! :)"

Christy wrote: "Fabulous review, Candace! x"

Jenny wrote: "Wonderful review, hun!! xx"

Loyda wrote: "Fantastic review Candace! I really need to check this one out soon."

Victoria wrote: "Great review, Candace! I've been wanting to read this one for quite awhile. I think I'll bump it up. :)"

Thanks so much, ladies! This one's definitely worth a read if you can handle the gory details. It will make you cringe, but will keep you on the edge of your seat. :) xoxo

✦❋Arianna✦❋ Awesome review, Candace! ;)

Candace Arianna✦❋SteamyReadsBlog❋✦ wrote: "Awesome review, Candace! ;)"

Thanks, Arianna! :) xoxo

message 22: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Fab review Candace x

Candace Deborah wrote: "Fab review Candace x"

Thanks, Deborah! :) xoxo

message 24: by George (new)

George Jankovic Awesome review, Candace!

Candace George wrote: "Awesome review, Candace!"

Thanks so much, George! :) xoxo

♥ Jx PinkLady Reviews ♥ Great review, Candace xx

Candace ♥ Jx PinkLady Reviews ♥ wrote: "Great review, Candace xx"

Thanks, Jx! :) xoxo

Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ Wow, if it was that disturbing to you, I'm worried! lol I know you love the dark stuff! Fantastic review, Candace! ❤

Candace Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ wrote: "Wow, if it was that disturbing to you, I'm worried! lol I know you love the dark stuff! Fantastic review, Candace! ❤"

Veronica hates cheating/disloyal heros in "Romance" books wrote: "Great review Candace!"

Thanks so much, ladies! It was gory, even for me. :) xoxo

message 31: by Maria... (new)

Maria... Great review, Candace!

Candace Maria... wrote: "Great review, Candace!"

Thanks, Maria! :) xoxo