Jenna's Reviews > Urban Pantry: Tips and Recipes for a Thrifty, Sustainable and Seasonal Kitchen

Urban Pantry by Amy Pennington

Mar 05, 2011

bookshelves: cookbooks, favorites, read-in-2011

This is a great little book, with some great recipes, tips and tricks on how to be a little thriftier and yet have an amazing tasty pantry year round! It is definitely going to be one that I keep around forever. The author even provides a sample list of what to keep around in your pantry, fridge, etc and includes tips on storage (which I always need reminding of).

Since I have gone gluten free, I find that I am so much happier (and healthier) making my own food and this is just another way to encourage me to do so. This summer, there will be canning, lots of canning as I work to preserve some of the tasties of summer for the cold, dark winter. Pennington has some wonderful tips on that as well, all in smaller quantities so you aren't left with like a ridiculous supply of something you may or may love later on (of course, you can always gift home preserves, who doesn't love that?).

Anyway, it's a reasonable price and I have found myself going back to it frequently for a sauce, for a tip I remembered she had. A great addition (that won't take up alot of space) in your cookbook collection. Plus, the pictures are fabulous! =)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Urban Pantry.

March 5, 2011 – Started Reading