Adina's Reviews > The Silkworm

The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith

bookshelves: mystery, british

4.5* When I finished The Silkworm two weeks ago I was planning to give it 4* for reasons that I will discuss later. I decided to upgrade my rating when I went to visit my mum and I saw the novel on the nightstand, halfway read. “It’s really good, isn’t it”, I asked her with excitement in my voice. I realized then that I enjoyed this more than I did other mysteries so why not give it full recognition.

J.K. Rowling (also known as Robert Galbraith) can do no wrong. She is a brilliant story teller and manages to fully immerse me in the world she creates, no matter if it is magical or “real”.

Obviously, I was immediately drawn by the mystery of this novel as it deals with the literary world. Yes, most of the characters are either writers or editors, how can I not be excited? Add a remarkably twisty and dark plot to this mix. Also, we cannot forget the secret ingredient, Strike and Robin. I love both characters and I was enthralled to see how their relationship developed. I particularly enjoyed that the book was half mystery and half the life of the two characters.

You might wonder why I did not want to give it the maximum rating from the start. Well, I had problems with ending. Just as the previous installment, it was a bit underwhelming and it was over too fast. It wasn’t the wow moment that I was expecting. I hope she will work a bit more on the endings as she almost ruined Harry Potter for me with the over the years recap.

I can’t wait to read Career of Evil. Good for me that I gifted the book to my mum for Christmas. ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silkworm.

January 24, 2016 – Shelved
January 24, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
January 24, 2016 – Shelved as: mystery
March 31, 2017 – Started Reading
March 31, 2017 –
April 14, 2017 –
April 25, 2017 – Finished Reading
September 23, 2018 – Shelved as: british

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Maggie This series really does get better over time. Career of Evil had me on a little rollercoaster of emotions!

message 2: by Eva (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eva I completely agree with you. Because of the ending i gave it 4 stars. But still, it's one of the best in its genre. I also agree with you concerning Harry Potter ;) The Cormoran Strike series gets better and better, can't wait for part 4!

Adina Maggie wrote: "This series really does get better over time. Career of Evil had me on a little rollercoaster of emotions!" I can't wait to read the next one. I am thinking to do it when the latest installment is published.

Adina Eva wrote: "I completely agree with you. Because of the ending i gave it 4 stars. But still, it's one of the best in its genre. I also agree with you concerning Harry Potter ;) The Cormoran Strike series gets ..." Me too. I hope there will be a more of Strike's adventures and that they will get better and better.

message 5: by Ken (new)

Ken Always interesting how waiting can sometimes nudge a rating up (or down) a tic or two...

Rohit Sharma I have this in my TBR and soon going to read it.

Adina Ken wrote: "Always interesting how waiting can sometimes nudge a rating up (or down) a tic or two..." Indeed. At the end of the year I also revisit the books that I read that year and I consider how their memory aged. I've changed some ratings like this.

Adina Rohit wrote: "I have this in my TBR and soon going to read it." i hope you will enjoy it.

message 9: by Ij (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ij Nice review!!!

Rohit Sharma Ij wrote: "Nice review!!!"
Thanks thanks :)