Kalliste's Reviews > The Eyre Affair

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

1950900

liked it

This book was recommended to me by a friend. I was told that I didn't need to have read Jane Eyre previously to understand the book but I'm really glad I read it first. As far as I'm concerned you definitely need to have read Jane Eyre first otherwise the biggest plot of the book won't even matter to you.

This book took me quite a long time to get interested in. I think it was the complete lack of knowing what was going on. Most of the time it didn't make any sense. I got a little giggle at some pop culture references but many I didn't understand or care enough about.

I didn't particularly care about Thursday either. She didn't make me feel sympathetic to her issues and where her life had ended up. I was more interested in Landen and would love to have seen a day with her Dad. Now he seemed like a character I could get interested in.

Then here is Hades, he could have been an excellent villain but he really wasn't fleshed out. He was just a bit crazy and mostly a sociopath, which is something I usually love in a villain but he just wasn't well written.

Overall the book was a good read but I probably wouldn't pick it up again and if it hadn't been recommended to me probably would never have read it in the first place. The pace just wasn't fast enough for me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eyre Affair.

March 5, 2011 – Started Reading
March 5, 2011 – Shelved
March 5, 2011 –
page 31
8.31% "I have to confess, I'm so confused right now. I hope it evens out soon."
April 8, 2011 – Finished Reading