Emma's Reviews > Hex

Hex by Thomas Olde Heuvelt

28602001

bookshelves: netgalley

(edit 03/02/16) I'm having to up my stars on this one as every time I pass a dark corner, I think of that bloody witch. It obviously got to me more than I thought...

Hex starts off really well, the creep factor was so high that reading it at half five in the afternoon felt far too close to bedtime for comfort. For me, it's not so much that it features a witch, but that the witch acts more like a ghost. Who can turn up in your house, at any time. Awful. Just awful.

Living in Black Rock is not fun: a witch, a curse, no chance of leaving. I liked the way that Heuvelt mixed the gothic and the modern within this setting. The townspeople use modern tech to keep track of their witch and it is the allure of freedom through the means of modern communication and evidence that threatens the uncertain peace of the town. And it also becomes clear that Katherine (the witch) is far from the only dark factor in the town. Still, I feel that the book would have been better served by keeping the original Dutch setting rather than transfereing it to an American town for the English translation. Heuvelt does well to keep the tension and fear going throughout, as the characters' suffering ratchets up to outright terror. Yet the sheer relentlessness of it made me feel numb. As more and more was revealed, the less it scared me. As always, the suggestion of horror is more frightening than the reality. The writing was also a bit hit and miss, maybe the author, maybe the translator. It's these few points that lessened the enjoyment for me and made me like it, but not love it.

Thanks to Thomas Olde Heuvelt, Hodder & Stoughton, and Netgalley for this copy in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hex.

January 24, 2016 – Started Reading
January 24, 2016 – Shelved
January 24, 2016 – Shelved as: netgalley
January 24, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

thomas Excellent review. I felt the same way. As I got to the last 50 pages I felt like I was being rushed to the end of the book so as to not notice the unsatisfying ending.

Emma thomas wrote: "Excellent review. I felt the same way. As I got to the last 50 pages I felt like I was being rushed to the end of the book so as to not notice the unsatisfying ending."

Yeah, it all got a bit out of control, didn't it? For the town and maybe the author.

Teresa Muniz Same with the dark corners. I didn't think it was affecting me too much and then all of a sudden I was dreaming about body parts appearing and reappearing around my house.