Sarah-Jayne Windridge-France's Reviews > After You

After You by Jojo Moyes

F 50x66
Jan 24, 2016

Read from January 24 to 29, 2016

I'm exhausted ... all those emotions which have been vying for attention throughout!

This is pretty much the perfect sequel and it gives me a lot of what I was hoping for and a lot more besides.

The characters are drawn beautifully - I want to say I can feel their warmth - but there's a few prickly ones thrown in for good measure.

I've grown fond of the central character Louisa (Lou) and her imperfect family and I soon warm to Lily and Sam and Will, it's really hard not to. I felt the syntheticness of Lou's wig and the lurex of that skirt, particularly as 'character-clothed' jobs and bad management have always made me bristle.

Just enough grit to keep me entertained and a large dousing of schmaltz to soften the edges and play on my emotions.

Well done JoJo for conjuring up a near perfect sequel; a great story line with lots of interwoven threads and a busyness that keeps the mind active throughout. You wet my appetite from the first book and kept me page-turning! I love the way you drew on previously mentioned facts and idioms, which cleverly culminated in a perfectly rounded ending..... I say perfectly rounded and yet I still feel there's a segment or two of the orange missing ... possibly room for a little more with a squeeze.

Thanks for that ... but, I've heard New York is lovely this time of year!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After You.

01/24/2016 marked as: currently-reading