Dessa Mae's Reviews > A Court of Mist and Fury

A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas

Similar to A Court of Thorns and Roses, it's hard to write a substantial review for this book without getting into details. If you haven't read A Court of Mist and Fury yet, I advise you to read the book first, because there's a lot of SPOILERS ahead! You've been warned ;) Also if you are still reading this, brace yourself for a review full of emotions and fangirling.

Once again, I fell in love with Sarah J. Maas' writing style. It's so easy to get into the story, and once you've started reading the book, it's gonna be hard to put it down because all you want to do is spend your time inside the world she created - full of lovely and interesting characters, beautiful places, and a gripping story that kept on making you want for more. I would have finished this book faster than I did, but I decided to take it slow because I wanted to stay in the story for as long as I could. If this book was a delicious food, I savored every bite rather than hastily devoured everything on my plate.

After the events Under the Mountain, everyone is trying to get back to their old lives and recover from the trauma brought about by Amarantha's reign. Feyre, who had been through A LOT during those months of trials, is still haunted by the nightmares she suffered. My heart broke for her because it seems impossible to get over the things she had done and sacrificed to free the people of Prythian. She also has lost the ability to paint, and as someone who loves to paint, I think it's sad.

In ACOTAR, I was unsure who to ship Feyre with. I liked Tamlin, but there's also something interesting with the mysterious High Lord of Night Court, Rhysand. In this book, the Feylin ship sank into the deepest part of the ocean and will remain there forever. I prefer it that way. Mwahaha. The Feysand ship, on the other hand, proudly sails at 1,000,000 miles per hour.

Let's first talk about Tamlin. I might have liked him in ACOTAR, but all I felt for him in this book was enmity. He's so controlling and unreasonably overprotective. How could he put Feyre on a leash like a pet and kept her imprisoned, when it's a reminder of what she'd been through Under the Mountain! He says that he's just protecting her, but passing the trials that Amarantha gave her was clear proof that she doesn't need any protection. Why can't he just try to put himself on her shoes for a second and try to understand her? Is it so hard? Ugh. I was also disappointed at Lucien for being so loyal to Tamlin even though he can see his friend suffering so much. And then it was revealed in the end that they conspired with the king of Hybern just to get Feyre back even though it's clear that she doesn't want to. What the heck.

“I began shaking my head as if I could unsee it as Lucien and Tamlin stepped into the light.”

I was also shaking my head as if I could unread that line. I can't believe it! Did Tamlin think that he still has a chance to persuade her to get back to him after that?! He's crazy, I tell you.

Rhysand, on the other hand... *sighs dreamily*. I had my doubts about him in the first book, but I completely fell in love with him in ACOMAF ❤ He's so selfless, kind, funny, witty, intense... *swoons*. Now I know why he's so talked about on Bookstagram. Among my endless list of bookish boyfriends, he's at the top, second only to James Carstairs. Hihi. Anyway, Rhysand was a mystery in ACOTAR, but in this book, we learned more about him. My heart broke for him because he sacrificed a lot for his court and his friends. Rhys let himself become Amarantha's toy, content with the knowledge that Velaris is safe and still unknown to the outside world. And then we found out that he is Feyre's mate! It turns out that they were destined for each other even before they met each other. A lot of people say that their favorite chapter in the book is Chapter 55 (because, ahem...), but my favorite is the chapter before that. We learned about Rhysand's story - the War, what he'd been through Under the Mountain, his dreams about Feyre, their first meeting at Calanmai, his treatment to her during her trials (which are completely justified), and how he let Tamlin and Feyre be together even though it's killing him.

"I heard you were going to marry him, and I told myself you were happy. I should let you be happy, even if it killed me. Even if you were my mate, you'd earned that happiness."

My heart broke when I've read that line. He's willing to give up his own happiness for the sake of others T^T. I was quite annoyed when Feyre got mad because he didn't tell her that she is his mate. It's completely logical for Rhysand to not tell her because he didn't want to pressure her when she's still in love with Tamlin! I love the thought that they still found love with each other without Feyre knowing that she is his mate (yep, I'm a hopeless romantic haha).

The Inner Circle is the very definition of #squadgoals. I easily fell in love with all of them. Azriel is such an adorable cinnamon roll (even though it doesn't seem like it from the exterior). Morrigan reminds me a lot of Isabelle Lightwood from The Mortal Instruments. She's such a badass! If it's a school group that we're talking about, Cassian would be the jokester in that group. Amren is quite scary, but she's the type of person that would grow on you gradually. Along with Rhysand, they became the family that Feyre needed to overcome the trauma and hurt she experienced from Amarantha and Tamlin.

The only thing I didn't like that much were the steamy parts... I know that it's inevitable, but does it have to be so detailed? It's quite uncomfortable to read, especially when you're in a public place 😅 I was quite paranoid while reading it because people might take a peek and think that I'm reading an erotic novel. HAHA.

I still want to discuss a lot about this book but this is already a very lengthy review. The main point is, I love this book so much and it deserves all the stars that could be seen from the Night Court.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Court of Mist and Fury.

January 24, 2016 – Shelved
January 24, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
January 5, 2018 – Started Reading
January 5, 2018 –
page 22
3.53% "Is this detailed scene really necessary? Ugghhh"
January 6, 2018 –
page 135
21.63% "Unsurprisingly, I'm slowly falling in love with Rhysand. Hihi ❤"
January 17, 2018 –
page 439
70.13% "FEYSAND ❤"
January 21, 2018 –
page 592
94.87% "What?! WHAT??! WHAAAAAAAT??!!!!"
January 21, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Zenki the Hermit BASAHIN MO NA TO DESSA OMG

Dessa Mae Zenki wrote: "BASAHIN MO NA TO DESSA OMG"

Gusto ko bilhin yung book kaso wala sa NBS (at wala akong pera huhuhaha)

Zenki the Hermit Masmaganda nga naman yung experience kapag nabasa mo na... OMG magfangirl ka sakin pag binabasa mo naaaa

Dessa Mae Zenki wrote: "Masmaganda nga naman yung experience kapag nabasa mo na... OMG magfangirl ka sakin pag binabasa mo naaaa"

Yass hahahaha