Christiane's Reviews > Bone: Quest for the Spark, Vol. 1

Bone by Tom Sniegoski

Mar 05, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: childrens-fiction, summer-reading

My first disappointment on opening this is that it's an illustrated novel, not a comic. And, it's not written by Jeff Smith, though it is set in the Boneville world and has many of the same characters (including Gran'ma Ben, Rat Creatures, and some new Bones). It is beautifully designed with full-page, color illustrations (by Jeff Smith) which I liked, but the story is nothing new for fantasy fans: a great darkness is spreading, a young hero and his wacky side-kick's/companions are chosen, they have to go on a quest…we've all read this story before. There's also a few weird little anachronisms, like where he writes that the Bone cousins had appeared on "all the talk shows"...as far as I remember this is a world of swords, candles, and (now) balloon airships, not electricity and TV's. Some of the best parts, and the funniest, come, as always, from the Rat Creatures ("Squirrel quiche.")

Oh, and just noticed that SPL has this cataloged as YA; there is nothing in the artwork, story, characters, or language to make this a YA title!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bone.