Brittany's Reviews > Listen

Mar 05, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: life-fiction
Read in March, 2011

I'll be honest, the only reason I heard about this book was because it was featured on a Free Friday for the Nook. It was short, but worthwhile.

Again it wasn't really my favorite writing style (I feel like I say that about everything :(, boo) but it was nice to have something written in a more modern voice & time. It was about the dangers that our words can contribute too. It focused on gossip but I know that personally I say a lot of things in public that are just as hurtful...and the way I talk in my head isn't always nice either. The plot revolves around this website that someone in a small town starts. The site posts conversations that were overheard when the speakers thought they were in private. While no names are posted, it's fairly easy to put the pieces together and figure out who's talking in some cases. As you can imagine, fights break out. Suspicions over who is posting these conversations also cause issues. It's a bit extreme but definitely made me think of the power words, especially ones spoken in anger or maliciousness, can have on both the speaker and the listener.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Listen.