Nikki 's Reviews > Guinevere

Guinevere by Sharan Newman

Mar 05, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy, arthurian, based-on-myth-saga-etc

I wasn't really impressed by this book. It follows the childhood of Guinevere, and her coming of age, until she meets Arthur. It's simultaneously fantastical -- there's a unicorn involved -- and historical, with a lot of focus on returning to Roman ways, etc. More or less standard fair. Guinevere's a bit of a Mary Sue: oh so beautiful, and mild, and she doesn't know about anything as coarse as sex, and there's something about her and Epona, and Arthur falls crazily in love with her and Gawain is pretty much her best friend...

The background characters are actually more interesting. I liked Guinevere's brothers, and I liked this version of Gawain, too. The side story about the Saxon girl was nice, I thought, and I am intrigued by the hints about the Round Table and about how Guinevere should've been sacrificed.

Not intrigued enough to order the rest of the trilogy immediately, though. It was competent enough, but not magical, to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guinevere.

March 5, 2011 – Shelved
July 6, 2011 – Started Reading
July 6, 2011 –
page 16
5.0% "I have definitely bitten off more than I can chew, but I'm determined to finish all the books I've been starting. I have the first and third book in this series: I'll only bother getting the second book and reading the third if this book is impressive. This one isn't impressing me so far, but it's barely started..."
July 14, 2011 –
page 118
36.88% "Hmm. I don't know what I think of this, so far. It doesn't really take much more from Arthuriana than general background stuff."
July 14, 2011 –