Chibineko's Reviews > Demonized

Demonized by Naomi Clark

Mar 05, 2011

bookshelves: cool-as-heck, horror, urban-fantasy, demons, novella, male-lead-character
Read from March 05 to 14, 2011

I have to give a brief disclaimer at the start of this review & say that while this novella can stand on its own for the most part, to fully understand everything that is going on here you'd have to have read Afterlife. That's where Banning gets his demon (singular, not plural) from & parts of the novella have him speaking to the main character of Yasmine.

Overall this was a pretty good tale. There's a decent mystery here & Clark does a great job of making you guess as to 'whodunit' for most of the book. I also liked how we're shown Banning suffering under the weight of the demonic presence in his body. He has to literally "feed the beast" by doing some pretty awful stuff or run the risk of the demonic voice gaining more power over him. Oh, and I absolutely love some of the new characters introduced here. The priest kicks butt.

Unfortunately it took me a little while to get into the book. I did eventually get into the book & get carried away, but it just took a little longer than Clark's previous works did. I'm not sure if that's because I'm used to having female lead characters narrate in my UF books or not. It's a very different experience, having a male voice narrate rather than a female voice. In any case, I still loved the book & look forward to more Banning tales, but it was just a slow beginning. I have no doubt that for people used to male narrators will have no problems with the beginning, however. (I didn't realize that 99.9% of my UF was all female narratives until this review.)

Final Diagnosis: This is a fine novella & well worth reading, but to get the full story you have to have read the previous book. This may discourage new readers, but the quick pacing in later chapters will keep them wanting to read more!

4.5/5

(Reader copy provided by author)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Demonized.

03/13/2011 page 24
24.49% "Anita Blake could probably do that, Ethan." 1 comment
03/14/2011 page 54
55.0% "OK, this is a pretty kick butt priest."
03/14/2011 page 98
100.0% "I think Mutt is more than he seems to be... Good story overall! :)"