Wendy's Reviews > It's Only Rock 'n' Roll: Thirty Years Married to a Rolling Stone

It's Only Rock 'n' Roll by Jo Wood

Jan 22, 2016

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2016

I didn't have particularly high expectations for this book, but I did enjoy it to a certain extent. On a personal level, I had some issues with the author's behavior, but I'm trying not to judge that here in this review. I do admire that she didn't hold back on details that didn't necessarily paint her in the best light, and some of her anecdotes were pretty hilarious. On a writing level, the book would have benefited from better editing/proofreading.

I'm only a casual fan of the Rolling Stones, but I liked reading about them and their entourage and chaotic lifestyle. I didn't know anything about the author's husband, Ronnie Wood (guitarist), prior to reading the book. I like Keith Richards better now. Mick Jagger didn't really figure in the book much. I also think a UK audience might like the book better than I did since they might have more knowledge of the author firsthand (she was a contestant on the UK equivalent of Dancing with the Stars).

What mainly irritated me, besides grammatical issues and personal things, was that she had a habit of ending chapters with very heavy-handed foreshadowing. I suppose this was to make the reader excited to keep reading to find out the juicy details to come, but it had the opposite effect on me. I could have simply chalked it up to novice writing and forgiven it if it only happened once or twice, but it happened SEVERAL times. A good editor should have done something about this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It's Only Rock 'n' Roll.

January 22, 2016 – Started Reading