M.P.'s Reviews > The Crystal Gryphon

The Crystal Gryphon by Andre Norton

Great fun. This book by the so-called Grand Dame of Fantasy and Sci-Fi was my first by Andre Norton, but I look forward to exploring her Witch World in more detail. The story stands well on its own; the main plot is resolved by the end, and I had no trouble immersing myself in this world, in spite of the fact that this is book five in a longer series. This isn't complex writing, and for some the high fantasy faux old English might grate, but I found it endearingly retro. This is very much fantasy as it was before revisionism began to challenge Tolkien's legacy. The characters in Crystal Gryphon are consistent and interesting enough for a fast-paced narrative with lots of magic and mystery, but the success of this book rests on Norton's admirable ability to sketch out a fantasy world in very quick strokes. If you're expecting Robin Hobb, this isn't it--but as an imaginative adventure novel, I enjoyed it immensely.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crystal Gryphon.

January 22, 2016 – Started Reading