C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Foxhole Court

The Foxhole Court by Nora Sakavic

bookshelves: read-2018, ya-male-narrators, young-adult, contemporary, 5-star, read-2019, reread, audio-books, read-2020
Read 3 times. Last read January 4, 2020 to January 7, 2020.

read 3 [janaury 2020]
starting off my year right with these idiots 😌rereads are the best for appreciating details you didn't catch the first times, and the biggest things I came away from with this reread were: (a) Neil genuinely forgetting people could be normal height after spending so long around Andrew, and (b) that oNE TIME Andrew protects Neil before they've even struck the deal 🥺what are these emotions, unasked for, i cannot.

read 2 [february 2019]
I am just here to raise both hands in the air and admit I am hella obsessed with this series. I've been craving a reread since I finished in feb last year...and omgsosghso being back with my Fox sons is just everything. I love these characters. I love the complexity, subplots, subtext and utter attitude problems of these disaster kids with their who have more scarring and ptsd than their tiny statures can handle. (And yes, they are tiny. Shout out to Andrew who is 5ft and literally shorter than me by one inch. FINALLY I'M TALLER THAN SOMEONE.)

and i'm obsessed. i'm dying. leave me to analyse every single thing that comes out of Andrew's mouth in this book because O H B O Y does it hit in a different light now that you know his Feelings™ for a certain someone.

also Neil is absolutely an argumentative little shit and I love him to death

(also the audiobook is so good!! and the audiobook's cover is amazing!! why can't we have that cover everywhere!!)

*:·゚✧*:·゚✧
Read 1 || February 2018

Holy wow that was super intense. I've had this on my TBR for absolutely forever and I swear, I started reading it and 2 minutes later I knew (a) I wouldn't be able to stop, and (b) I was going to need to read the rest ah hahahah. (YES I JUST BOUGHT THE SEQUEL TWO SECONDS AGO.)

Moving forward.

THINGS TO EXPECT FROM THIS BOOK:
• a bucket load of absolutely horrible characters
• literally everyone should be in therapy but ok
• somehow they're awful but it's like??? I can't look away???
• Neil is an absolute precious cinnamon son
• there is a hybrid sport called Exy (kind of like lacrosse)
• there's a lot of college flotsam happening
• THERE'S AN UNDERCURRENT OF GANG WARS AND DARKNESS
• blood
• bad decisions
• unhealthy relationships
• absolutely gripping writing
• nasty boys protecting each other like nothing else because family don't end in blood, son *

* um yeah I just quoted supernatural I don't even know anymore

I see a lot of people comparing this to The Raven Cycle and like? I sort of get it. But also no. Just because it's about a bunch of broken boys doesn't really make it Ravenish!! But I also LIKE reading about bunches of broken boys so there's that.

Although there's hella problematic things going on in here.
I mean these teens do treat each other like trash a lot. Andrew is basically a sociopath (probably?!) and horrific. And I was NOT happy with a lot of the problematic elements. Like the overuse of the word r*tard (can you not...ever again) then in the nightclub (view spoiler) But while there were problematic things in the book, I don't think it ever was condoning them. And that's the difference right? Like this book is full of hella broken boys and awful things happening and Neil does NOT brush off their nonsense.

(Also I'm not sure why this book is being shelved as lgbt, unless Things™ happen later on?? So far there's no romance for Neil. Not so sure who I'd ship him with yet but I have Thoughts™.)

CAN WE TALK ABOUT NEIL.
He's scarred and damaged and on the run and fajdkslafd (coincidentally reminds me of a character I've written so I'm completely adoring of him) and just the way he reacts when someone offers to take care of him and he's like ???? Mind blown. He is PRECIOUS. And I wish him to stay alive that'd be nice.

Also shout out to the coach for being the mother of these 10 delinquent idiots of the Fox team. Because they're literally like:
Coach: I hate you all.
Coach: also here's some cereal and a blanket and did you get a good night's sleep? I will beat you with a spoon if you don't look after each other
Coach: now get out i hate you

#TEAMCOACHISAGOODMOTHER

The writing was also super addictive.
I'm not sure if it was a "this is a trainwreck and I can't look away" or what?! Like I don't like sporty books. I didn't even like Exy! BUT I LOVED THE BOOK TO DEATH STILL. Most of the sporty scenes were at least short (why is sport so aggressive holy heck) and if my attention blinked over them it didn't matter. I was here for Neil's secrets and his complex relationship with Kevin and the way the relationships were all woven in messy knots. It's so so character driven and that's what I like to read about.

So I mean, I just bought the sequel so guess what I'm doing this week. GOODBYE I NEED TO GO SEE IF THESE PSYCHOTIC AND HORRIBLE CINNAMON SCONES KILL EACH OTHER OR NOT.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Foxhole Court.

Quotes C.G. Liked

“God damn it, Minyard. This is why we can't have nice things.”
Nora Sakavic, The Foxhole Court

January 22, 2016 – Shelved
January 22, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
February 19, 2018 – Started Reading
February 20, 2018 –
69.0% "This book is full of nasty messy boys and yet somehOW I CAN'T LOOK AWAY????"
February 20, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
February 20, 2018 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators
February 20, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
February 20, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporary
February 21, 2018 – Finished Reading
February 9, 2019 –
page 50
19.92% "I am back to rereading MY DISASTER SONS 😌" (Paperback Edition)
February 11, 2019 –
page 138
54.98% "Nicky: hey can someone ring Andrew??
Renee: oh did you lose his phone?
Nicky: yea haha
Nicky: also the andrew attached to the phone is missing too"
(Paperback Edition)
February 12, 2019 –
page 162
64.54% "Neil: Andrew absolutely hates me.
Andrew: can confirm
Also Neil: [also unburdens most of his secrets to Andrew]
Also Andrew: [listens attentively]
Neil: but we are enemies
Andrew: yes for sure still"
(Paperback Edition)
February 13, 2019 – Finished Reading
January 4, 2020 – Started Reading
January 5, 2020 –
page 122
51.48% "I love that one of Neil's first thoughts when he meets the upperclassmen is like "oh wow I forgot people could be of normal height""
January 7, 2020 –
page 200
84.39% "Andrew: I have a crush on you.
Neil: what????
Andrew: I said I WANT TO CRUSH YOU DEAD."
January 7, 2020 – Shelved as: read-2020
January 7, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)

Maya I read this whole series this week and for a good part of it kept popping into my head that you would REALLY enjoy it! I know that it's "technically" about sports and that you aren't interested in sports but t is about so much more than that! OH MY GOODNESS you will love the characters! One of them is a lot like Ronan Lynch, but with 100x the tragic back story. It's pretty dark but amazing. 10/10 would recommend!!

C.G. Drews OMG THAT MAKES ME SO HAPPY. I have the first book on my kindle! But Ronan Lynch?! afjadklfajsdklfs

Maya I mean, at least /I/ think so (I have weird criteria for comparing people/characters, so I've been told). But UGH YES, the CHARACTERS! READ THIS SERIES! :)

message 4: by Rox (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rox Cait, you have to read this. You are going to fall so hard for these characters!!!!!!

Maya ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

chan ☆ "literally everyone should be in therapy but ok"

most accurate description of this book im GAGGING

Aqsa (On Hiatus) Great Review!

✨    jamieson   ✨ oh boy, the romance. just u wait

Sabrina Amazing review! I'm glad you liked it.
I absolutely love this trilogy so much!!!!!!! ONE OF THE BEST EVER.
The second book is going to break your heart and make you want to fucking kill Riko, like more than you already do when reading the first one! Just saying.

message 10: by Carina (new) - added it

Carina I started book one just two days ago but I'm already on the last one!! You're incredibly correct, the book is full of terrible people and terrible things yet I can't look away. I just can't not read them? Kind of addicting but in the best possible way

message 11: by Bee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bee I loved this book but it took me ages to finally read it! Ashamed to say that the cover kind of put me off hahaha xD But yes. tragic precious boys. And I still need to read the rest of these books.

Lillian I think TFC is generally considered NA by the majority of people... and Things™ will indeed happen later on...

message 13: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews I JUST WANT TO READ THE NEXT BOOK IMMEDIATELY OK EVERYONE. IT'S SO MESSED UP BUT I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS.

(I may reshelve it as NA then?!)

Angela C Ooh, so excited to see you've started the All for the Game books - one of my favorite trilogies! The romance is verrrrrrry slow burn, but well worth the wait.

message 15: by Rose (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rose I love this series sooo much, I actually can't wait for you to read it

Angela C Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "I JUST WANT TO READ THE NEXT BOOK IMMEDIATELY OK EVERYONE. IT'S SO MESSED UP BUT I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS.

(I may reshelve it as NA then?!)"

Not gonna lie, you’re making me want to reread the series again! (I read it three times last year...I may have a problem.)

message 17: by Joan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joan Fantastic review! Read this series a while ago and was sucked right into it. LOL! 😜

Nitzan Schwarz Cait, I'm holding you entirely responsible for the way my life has spiraled out of control thanks to this bunch of messed up rejects. Also also thanks for bringing them to my attention. Also also also I don't know what to do with my life with this series over?? Like, I already re-read again but I want to that a third time???

message 19: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Nitzan: *whispers* you're welcome FOR THIS RUINATION. (When is it acceptable to start rereading for me too??? Now?? 😂)

Nitzan Schwarz @Cait I literally waited one hour before I re-read so I don't think I'm the right person to ask. RUINATION indeed.

Astrid Kaniele you pinned so much about this that I was obsessed before I started reading.

message 22: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate ✨ is a dreamer Okay wow, am definitely picking this one up tonight!! I was debating between this and another... and I'm leaning towards this :) I read reviews on it and I immediately want to read it, but every time I read the blurb I'm like "ehhhhh better not." So here I go, thanks for the rec!

Kristen I’m doing a reread, too! I LOVE THIS SERIES SO MUCH!

message 24: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews Kristen wrote: "I’m doing a reread, too! I LOVE THIS SERIES SO MUCH!"

it's always a good time for a reread 😫

message 25: by sauvageloup (new) - added it

sauvageloup I've ordered this finally!! can't wait for it to arrive :D

Vanessa Man, all these updates of yours the last couple days really makes me want to reread this again for the third time. 😅