Cait • A Page with a View's Reviews > The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet

The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet by Bernie Su

bookshelves: retellings, contemporary-ya

If you have any love for Pride & Prejudice you seriously need to read this book -- it's easily the best Jane Austen retelling I've ever found! There's SO much in this that wasn't in the show! It makes everything a million times better and expands on so, so much that it's just amazing.

In case you haven't seen the youtube series, it's about grad student Lizzie Bennet who vlogs about her life. She's from a middle class family struggling to make ends meet, so she and Jane live at home with their parents & Lydia at the start. Most of the videos obviously have to be filmed in her bedroom, so she cheesily acts out the parts of some people when she's recapping events (but Darcy, Bing, Caroline, Wickham, Lydia, Jane, Charlotte, Collins, Georgiana, Fitz, and the emo cousin Mary all show up eventually as she films in other locations). It's absolutely genius how everything comes together -- like Kitty Bennet is HER CAT AND I WILL NEVER GET OVER THAT.

The casting is just perfect (and the diversity is awesome). It might actually be more perfect than the actual Pride & Prejudice movies at times.

There's Lydia:

Lizzie:

Jane:

Bing:

and Darcy:

This book covers all of the story you see in the series, but then expands on so much. Like she'll casually mention a party in an episode, but then this book actually goes into the whole scene and EVERYTHING gets developed way more.

I started watching the show back when we had to check back weekly for a new episode, but didn't realize this book existed until now. So I'm just throwing this out there in case anyone else loved the show and hasn't seen this!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet.

Started Reading
January 22, 2016 – Shelved
January 22, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Lizzy (Bent Bookworm) Wait, what?? Why have I never heard of this AT ALL????

message 2: by Maren (new)

Maren Great review! I have this on my TBR and can't wait to read it even more now!

Cait • A Page with a View Lizzy (Bent Bookworm) wrote: "Wait, what?? Why have I never heard of this AT ALL????"

I know, right?!!! It is SO underhyped

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie This sounds wonderful!!! I loved Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife and Darcy and Elizabeth. They are a continuation of Pride and Prejudice. They are written by Linda Berdoll. I don't know anyone else who have read them, but they are AWESOME!.. They do have some steamy parts, though!!!