Deb's Reviews > One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd

One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus

bookshelves: historical, fiction, book, group
Read 2 times

I read this mesmerizing account of a woman's life in the American Old West because my book group had selected it for discussion. It does make an excellent discussion book, as it brings up issues such as cultural differences and how people of different races and beliefs interact. The main character, May Dodd, starts out the book in an insane asylum, where she was committed by her family. A program to make peace with the Cheyenne Indians by offering them white woman as brides becomes her ticket out of the asylum. She and a band of other woman from a wide range of backgrounds are transported to Indian territory. In the course of the book, told in the form of May's journal entries, May falls in love with an Army Captain, becomes the bride of an Indian chief, is terrorized by a lecherous half breed, survives a night of drunken terror, is captured by a rival tribe and rescued, and finally witnesses a betrayal so unimaginable she never believed it would happen.[return]There is so much action, so many unbelievable characters, and such a perfect capturing of the historical period that I have to give this book a hearty thumbs up. If you are wondering if if would be a good read--it is! I highly recommend the audio version as well, that is how I enjoyed it and the narrator Laura Hicks performs the story brilliantly. She creates a voice for each character that sounds so true to who they are, and smoothly recites the many foreign words and even sings when needed. Her performance made it a joy to get into my car each day and experience this remarkable story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Thousand White Women.