Leslie (Working for the Mandroid)'s Reviews > City of Ashes

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

2204710
Mar 04, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, magic, supernatural, ya, vampires, angels
Read from March 04 to 07, 2011

I don't know if it's because I listened to the first book on CD during my daily commutes or what, but this one was so much better than City of Bone. The male characters weren't so annoying. There was more Magnus Bane. And Clary herself was far less Mary Sue-ish, though her hot and cold "relationship" with Simon did get a little confusing. And of course, Valentine is a hypocritical jackass. Nothing new there. Then there's the Inquisitor, who existed just to not make sense it seemed. Her motives seemed to slip and slide, but whatever.

And of course demon armies are always exciting.

Something I do notice more when reading than listening are the little inconsistencies. A character drops something and never picks it back up, but has it moments later. A character was sleeping and yet has a jacket on the next page. I don't know. Maybe Jace always sleeps with his jacket on. It's kind of funny, like when you're watching a movie and someone has taken their coat off in one shot and when the camera angle changes, they're taking it off again.

New super powers were fun. The pushing of the (currently) incestuous relationship was surprising, if not beating me over the head that in the end they won't really be siblings at all.

Not desperate to get the next book in the series, but I did enjoy this one and liked that I had the chance to read large chunks of it at a time. It's intriguing and much better than most of the YA books popular when I was of the intended audience's age range.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Ashes.

03/04/2011 page 125
28.0% "Starting out interesting, but the influx of adult characters are pretty awful."
03/07/2011 page 280
62.0% "This one is much better than the first. I'm still really surprised that it's pushing the incestuous relationship in a mainstream YA title, though I imagine in the end they won't actually be siblings. Still a little creepy right now."