Celia's Reviews > Red Glove

Red Glove by Holly Black

bookshelves: fantasy, 2011-books, youngadult

The second book in this trilogy, following on from White Cat, which I loved. So, Cassel's back at school, his mother is out of prison, the Feds are trying to recruit him, he's wrestling with the ethics of his relationship, and then his brother is murdered. Cassel has a very amoral exterior, drifting through life making cutting remarks and running his underground gambling ring at school, and yet he is deeply concerned with and disturbed about his own powers and how to best use them.

Lila - the focus of the difficult relationship - drifts through this book. We don't really get much of her perspective, and it's difficult to see her viewpoint through Cassel's persistent fear that it is tainted by a curse. And given her actions towards the end of this book, I get the feeling she's going to be more of a focal point of the narrative in the next book.

Let's see, how to summarise - I really enjoyed this, although it didn't have the same wow factor as the first book for me (which probably partly has to do with being the second book in a series) - it's dark and funny and intense all at the same time.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Glove.