Brittany's Reviews > Occupied

Occupied by Joss Sheldon

bookshelves: zchallenge-2016, 4-stars, arcs, dystopian, fiction, historical-fiction, mystery, reviews

Check out my blog to see Reviews of Book and Movies, and check out some Recipes!

Occupied was a very unique read. I wasn't really sure what to expect. Based on the cover, I probably wouldn't have picked this book up, but I am glad that I got a chance to read a copy for free with the Read & Review Program.

Joss Sheldon has written this book in 3 stages of life: Child/Adolescent/Adult. From there we are told 4 different characters stories for each stage of life. We follow the characters of Tamsin, Ellie, Arun & Charlie. There are places where each of their lives intersect.

Tamsin as a child was my favorite character, but Ellie as an adolescent was my favorite and then I wanted so MUCH for Arun to make different choices.

In the beginning there is a lot of looking on the brighter side of life as a child often will, followed by much rebellion in the adolescent stages and led to mostly resignation as an adult with glimmers into the rebellions of youth.

Joss has woven a political and spiritual tale of woe. This is a book that really makes you think about the world around you. I could see many past, current and future world events at different times throughout the book. The unique writing style was easy to follow and I enjoyed the interjected one liners of smaller happenings, such as the cats and the ants and the Mad Woman.

I recommend this book for someone who likes to think deeply about life, but I will warn that there are some painful parts to read, especially Tamsin's adolescent chapter. Check this book out, solid 4 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Occupied.

January 22, 2016 – Shelved
March 21, 2016 – Started Reading
March 21, 2016 –
5.0% "intriguing start, definitely enjoying it so far"
March 23, 2016 –
15.0% "I Iike the way the characters are connected"
March 25, 2016 –
25.0% "so awful and sad what fear and hatred will make someone do"
March 27, 2016 –
March 28, 2016 –
60.0% "the adolescent chapters are painful to read"
March 29, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Brittany It was very strange, a bit confusing in the beginning, but it was well sectioned out so that there was no confusion between characters and time periods.