Cait • A Page with a View's Reviews > The Midnight Star

The Midnight Star by Marie Lu

bookshelves: 2016-arcs, high-fantasy, ya-fantasy

EASILY ONE OF THE BEST ENDINGS I HAVE EVER READ. I'm not even kidding. 4.5 stars and SO much love for Marie Lu!
(NO major spoilers, all minor ones are hidden)

I cannot believe how amazing those last few chapters were! This is easily my favorite book out of the trilogy. It had a bit of a different feel to it than the first two because the focus wasn't so much on fighting other people or taking a throne. It's more about choices and sacrifice.

The story starts with Adelina being queen and her brilliant antihero self. She's becoming increasingly paranoid, revels in the fear surrounding her, and has designed her laws to make sure the unmarked/those who aren't malfettos suffer. Meanwhile Raffaele & Co realize that the Underworld is seeping into the living world and that they need Adelina's help in order to... basically save the world.

This isn't necessarily a spoiler but some people might want to learn it as the story initially unfolds, so I'll hide it. Remember that test that Raffaele gave everyone in the first book to see what they align with? (view spoiler)

The first two books in this series held my attention at first and then had an AMAZING last 1/3, but I tended to kind of zone out a bit in the middle of them. This final book was a lot better in that respect, but I still wasn't as into it as I wanted to be until the last 1/3. And I didn't connect with all of the characters as much as I did in previous books -- this story felt like it was ultimately about Adelina. But I honestly think I struggle to get into most stories that are in the present tense... so it might just be a personal style issue!

The Dark of Night and the Underworld were SO cool, though!! I loved those descriptions and how this story was more of a quest-type journey than a battle.

Adelina becomes such a fascinating character throughout this book with the choices she faces. She's spent her whole life fighting for power and finally has it, but thankfully turns into an even more complex character instead of becoming a cliche ruthless tyrant. I also adore Violetta and her complicated relationship with Adelina: "you cannot harden your heart to the future just because of your past." Their dynamics have been my favorite part of the story from the beginning and this book did not let me down one bit.

I won't say how the story ends but I just LOVE IT SO MUCH. The ending was incredibly powerful and I'm so impressed with every decision Marie Lu made. Everything about it was perfect!!

Thank you so much to Penguin for sending me the ARC package.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Midnight Star.

January 21, 2016 – Shelved
August 26, 2016 – Started Reading
August 27, 2016 –
page 142
44.94% "This is definitely my favorite book in this trilogy so far!"
August 27, 2016 –
page 228
August 27, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

Stacee YES TO ALL OF THIS. I just finished and I'm speechless.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

You're so lucky to have this! I'm so ready for this.

Cait • A Page with a View @Stacee I KNOW, RIGHT?! Speechless is exactly it. So impressive...

Azia I can't wait for this book! But I should probably read Rose Society, first....

Cait • A Page with a View @azis haha yeah that might help :) hope you love it!

Lexi (wondrouspages) so lucky that you have a review copy

Ellie Bosacoma How did u have the book? It has not come out yet.

Cait • A Page with a View @Ellie
Penguin mailed them out to a few bloggers

Ashley Barks I totally agree with you on the present tense style of writing. For me its not as captivating as, say, past tense writing. But as long as the book is great, it's easy to try and overlook that. glad you enjoyed the book! I definitely look forward to it!

Samantha Eekk. I just my copy yesterday and I'm dying to start! I think I want to go back threw the other two books before I dive in but I'm not sure I can hold out.

Cait • A Page with a View @ashley hope you love it! :)

Cait • A Page with a View @samantha haha yeah it definitely took me a few minutes to remember everything when I first started it too!! but have fun!

Beela I can't wait to read it!!!!!!

Sonja ✧ Badass Wanderer ✧ I loved this book so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it too :)

Arielle ⭐ Cursebreaker ⭐ You know, I read #1 and liked well enough it but wasn't sure if I wanted to continue with the series...after reading this review I think I might have to just to see how it ends! haha :) Great review, Cait!

Giska Anandita i love the ending too, the last few chapters are my favorite, and enzo, i really want to give him all the love in the world, he desereves that:")))

Vivienne I just adore every review written by you *~* I'm on page 89 of the midnight star and I'm in love :3