JuliaOrlando's Reviews > Among the Wicked

Among the Wicked by Linda Castillo

bookshelves: 2017, linda-castillo, murder-mystery, 4-star, really-liked-it, series

This is the 8th installment of the Kate Burkholder series.

Kate Burkholder, chief of police of Painter Mill OH, is asked to assist in a case in upstate NY in which a young Amish girl is found dead. As Kate was raised in the Painter Mill Amish community, the NY state sheriff asks her to assist in the case posing undercover as an Amish widow. As a new widow to the community, Kate will have to insinuate herself into a society that keeps itself separate from it's "English" neighbors.

This book kept me on the edge of my seat. Kate is a strong confident character, and she won't back down from a case. Posing as an Amish widow, Kate is totally alone with no backup except for the local sheriff she checks in with, who is at least an hour away. She is extremely vulnerable to the dangers in the area as she tries to solve this case.

I found myself sympathizing for Kate a little in this book. She left the Amish faith when she was a teenager and is happy with her life; but as she works this case - she is surprised to find that she enjoys, almost misses the camaraderie of the Amish women she meets.

I enjoyed this book, and am looking forward to the next on in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Among the Wicked.

January 21, 2016 – Shelved
January 21, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
February 5, 2017 – Started Reading
February 5, 2017 –
51.0% "OH NO!!! Kate get outta there.... NOW!!!"
February 6, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017
February 6, 2017 – Shelved as: linda-castillo
February 6, 2017 – Shelved as: murder-mystery
February 6, 2017 – Shelved as: 4-star
February 6, 2017 – Shelved as: really-liked-it
February 6, 2017 – Shelved as: series
February 6, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by StarMan (new) - added it

StarMan Is it best to read this series in order?

Angela DeSilva Yes read it in order. This was a great series!

JuliaOrlando StarMan wrote: "Is it best to read this series in order?"

IMO yes, some times the author references cases events in previous books.

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Excellent review Julia! I loved it too!