Liz Brooks's Reviews > The Sound of Emeralds

The Sound of Emeralds by Rachelle Rea Cobb

Jan 21, 2016

it was ok
bookshelves: two-stars

I was given an eARC of THE SOUND OF EMERALDS by Rachelle Rea. Thank you, Rachelle!

I have to say, I was a bit disappointed with this one. I didn’t hate it, but it wasn’t for me either. Unfortunately, I can’t address the entirety of my opinion because most of my issues are centered around major spoilers, but I will try my best. (Also, if you haven’t read the first two books in this trilogy, maybe don’t read this review, as it will contain spoilers for THE SOUND OF DIAMONDS and THE SOUND OF SILVER.)

The Central Plot. Coming into the book, I was expecting the central plot to revolve around clearing Dirk’s name, as had been set up as a necessity in THE SOUND OF SILVER. I was excited to see where that would go. We have tension between Anders, Dirk, and Gwen and, at least at the ending of the previous book, it seems unclear whether Anders will help the two lovebirds or if he will do his best to put Dirk in jail.

Unfortunately, I was wrong. Dirk’s legal issues take back burner for most of the novel, and the plot that takes its place just wasn’t for me. I’m sure it would appeal to a lot of other people, specifically people who like children.

Mush Middle. On top of my inability to sympathize with the central issue for this book, I felt that, overall, the middle dragged. A lot of information and feelings get rehashed repeatedly without enough deep exploration of the emotions or broadening of the themes. Dirk and Gwen spend a lot of time at odds with each other, communicating poorly, and operating on assumptions that could be easily dispelled—which was valid and enjoyable for a time, but got old after a while. I can only spend so long watching characters skirt around an easy solution before I get frustrated with them. (I encountered this issue with books like ALLEGIANT and THE ONE.)

The Plus Side. Despite my complaints, I don’t want to insinuate that Rea said nothing interesting or worthwhile. On the contrary. Rea throws in some profound observations, and her themes are still interesting. I think, with less repetition, I would have given the story three stars instead of two. And to be fair, like I said before, I think my biggest problem with this book might have been more a personality issue than anything. Not to mention, I can be difficult to please when it comes to series conclusions. So, just because I didn’t like it all that much, doesn’t mean you won’t absolutely love it. If this book sounds like your cup of coffee, please don’t let me rain on your parade.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sound of Emeralds.

January 21, 2016 – Shelved