Sonja ✧ Badass Wanderer ✧'s Reviews > Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling

bookshelves: favourite, love-this-so-much, fantasy, feel-good, magical-writing, own, political-intrigue, too-many-feels, young-adult, dark
Read 2 times. Last read January 21, 2016 to January 24, 2016.

"it matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be!"
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is the first HP novel that becomes truly dark. There's death, betrayal and suffering but there's also happiness, friendship and love. It was a rollercoaster of emotions for me. One moment I was happy, the other I was sad, or dreading an event I knew was coming. I was hoping, against all odds, that somehow the plot of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire had changed since the last time I entered this world. But it hasn't.

I found it very interesting to see all the little clues that I didn't notice the first time around, and some things still came as a surprise to me (even though I knew it was going to happen). I guess we all hope that when we reread a book that miraculously its contents change or that it will hurt less. The end still hit me as hard as it did the first time. Some things never change.

Of course, I'll continue rereading the books. Now that I'm hooked, I can't let go. Even if I wanted to (which I don't).
"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."
description
description
My Review of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
1st read in August 2014
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐/5 (9.5/10)
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is an exhilarating novel full of clear signs of bigotry. Bigotry is intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from oneself. In the Harry Potter Universe this can be clearly read. Pure-bloods, half-bloods, wizards from Muggle decent, wizards who are half-giants all of them are prejudiced. J.K. Rowling displays the reader not to judge someone by their blood but by their actions.

The novel is exciting until the ending. Rowling ends all her novels exceptionally well. The closure ends as how a closure of an adventure in one’s life would end. It’s smooth. It doesn’t make the reader feel unsatisfactory.
Many surprises are present in the novel. Characters are yet again not who they seem to be. I felt particularly betrayed when (view spoiler)

The characters, especially Harry, face many challenges which question their braveness, honesty, goodwill, power, wisdom, courage and many other heroic qualities. Harry never fails such a test. I can clearly read Harry’s character and the way he thinks, and what his morals are. Because of this I firmly stood behind him when he faced challenges.

The novel is very touching. Because I connected and understood the characters well I sympathised with them as well. I must admit that I cried when (view spoiler) I cried a bit as well when (view spoiler)

The comical aspect of the Harry Potter novels hasn’t faded. From names (Ron’s tiny and thin eagle named Pig) to hilarious lettres (from Ron as well) and comments (from the Weasleys in general and once from Amos Diggory (please-men = Muggle police men)), this novel didn’t disappoint. I love how J.K. Rowling makes the novel more light-hearted and easier for the heart by writing some foolishness and hilarity in the novel.

All in all, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire was AWESOMETACULAR.
‘‘Knows people can turn out OK even if their families weren’ … well … all tha’ respectable. But some don’t understand that. There’s some who’d always hold it against yeh … there’s some who’d even pretend they just had big bones rather than stand up an’ say - I am what I am, an’ I’m not ashamed. ‘‘Never be ashamed,’’ my ol’ dad used ter say, ‘there’s some who’ll hold it against you, but they’re not worth botherin’ with.’’’ - Hagrid, p.395-396
‘‘If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.’’ - Sirius, p.456
‘‘You place too much importance, and you always have done, on the so-called purity of blood! You fail to recognise that it matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be!’’ - Dumbledore, p.614-615
‘‘we are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.’’ - Dumbledore, p.627

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Finished Reading
January 21, 2016 – Started Reading
January 21, 2016 – Shelved
January 21, 2016 –
January 22, 2016 –
8.0% "This makes me sad. :(\n "I said to him, I said - Ced[Cedric], that'll be something to tell your grandchildren, that will ... you beat Harry Potter!" - Cedric's father"
page 140
19.07% "'I'm never wearing them,' Ron was saying stubbornly. 'Never.'\n 'Fine,' snapped Mrs Weasley.\n 'Go naked. And Harry, make sure you get a picture of him. Goodness knows I could do with a laugh.' "
page 213
29.02% "'CONSTANT VIGILANCE!' he barked, and everyone jumped."
January 22, 2016 –
48.0% "This. Is. True. Friendship. <3\n Ron's indignation on his behalf was worth about a hundred points to him."
page 400
54.5% "I love Hagrid. He always says the right things. \n 'There’s some who’d always hold it against yeh … there’s some who’d even pretend they just had big bones rather than stand up an’ say - I am what I am, an’ I’m not ashamed. ‘‘Never be ashamed,’’ my ol’ dad used ter say, there’s some who’ll hold it against you, but they’re not worth botherin’ with.'"
January 23, 2016 –
72.0% "One of my favourite quotes. Ever.\n "If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.""
page 598
81.47% "'Curiosity is not a sin,' he said. 'But we should exercise caution with our curiosity . . . yes, indeed . . .'"
page 616
83.92% ""And the Fat Lady?" said Bill.\n "She was here in my time," said Mrs. Weasley. "She gave me such a telling off one night when I got back to the dormitory at four in the morning -" \n "What were you doing out of your dormitory at four in the morning?" said Bill, surveying his mother with amazement.\n Mrs. Weasley grinned, her eyes twinkling.\n "Your father and I had been for a nighttime stroll," she said."
page 617
84.06% "Every time there is a mention of Cedric, my heart hurts. I feel so bad for his father, Amos Diggory."
page 634
86.38% "Cedric is so kind and noble. I hate Voldemort and his Death Eaters.\n Cedric was serious. He was walking away from the sort of glory Hufflepuff House hadn't had in centuries. \n 'Go on,' Cedric said. He looked as though this was costing him every ounce of resolution he had, but his face was set, his arms were folded, he seemed decided."
page 638
86.92% "NOOOOOOOOOO."
page 705
96.05% "Fudge is such an idiot."
page 708
96.46% "'You place too much importance, and you always have done, on the so-called purity of blood! You fail to recognise that it matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be!'"
page 724
98.64% "'Remember, if the time should come, when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory.'"
January 24, 2016 – Shelved as: favourite