Kelly (and the Book Boar)'s Reviews > The Sleeper and the Spindle

The Sleeper and the Spindle by Neil Gaiman

Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“There are always choices.”

It seems every time I delve into the world of a retelling I begin by pointing out how much I didn’t care for the original. I guess it should come as no surprise that Snow White and Sleeping Beauty weren’t my idea of a great time when I was a kid either. In fact, the entire world of Disney princesses kinda creeps me out – unless it’s these kind of princesses . . . .

But I digress.

Due to the above I didn’t have high expectations upon starting The Sleeper and the Spindle and was pleasantly surprised with the end result of this mashup. The story is about a young queen (Snow White) who is given word by three of her loyal followers (dwarfs) about a sleeping sickness that fell over a neighboring kingdom decades before, but has begun to spread. Unlike all the pansy-ass Disney broads, this queen decides to take care of the problem herself. You know why????? Because . . . .

Palm Springs commercial photography

While I generally fall into the “idiot overzealous fangirl” side of the spectrum when it comes to Gaiman, this one wasn’t quite as good as Snow, Glass, Apples so it hovered around the 3.5 mark. I’m rounding up, however, because there was a little more to the story than met the eye that left Mitchell and I looking something like this . . . .

And also because it was oh so very pretty to look at . . .

Palm Springs commercial photography

I mean REALLY pretty . . . .

Palm Springs commercial photography

My friend Sam disagrees with me about per near errrrrything, but somehow I still like him anyway. (In this case it’s probably because he’s so much smarter than I am and I have to acknowledge he probably read this correctly and I just got mesmerized with the pretty pictures and the fact that the female lead wasn't some douchey damsel in distress). If you want to see what the “meh” crowd thought about The Sleeper and the Spindle, go check out his review.

This selection was chosen for my library’s Winter Reading Challenge. Many thanks to Tadiana for the recommendation. Three more books and the limited edition coffee mug will be MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE!

Palm Springs commercial photography

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sleeper and the Spindle.

January 21, 2016 – Started Reading
January 21, 2016 – Shelved
January 22, 2016 – Shelved as: everything-old-is-new-again
January 22, 2016 – Shelved as: liburrrrrry-book
January 22, 2016 – Shelved as: pitcherbooks
January 22, 2016 – Shelved as: read-in-2016
January 22, 2016 – Shelved as: shorty-shorts
January 22, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)

Christopher Sam hates like 90% of things that have made it to print though.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Yes! He's like the best friend ever. He makes me feel so generous and easy to please ; )

Ginger I want a mug for reading.
Love the review. I am with you. May have read it wrong but Gaiman + Pretty pictures = all the love.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Thanks Ginger. I get a little psychotic about these mugs every year. Late January is the time when my family knows to stay faaaaaaaar away from me : )

message 5: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue Smith Chris Riddell is a fabulous illustrator!

Vivian The pictures are very pretty. I think I want to read it for the pictures--eek!

Disney princesses are in general appalling role models, though I will give Mulan credit for being a BAMF even if she only an honorary princess.

Sandra This one had some good twists. Love me some Neil....

Kelly (and the Book Boar) @ Sue - yes he is. Gorgeous.

@ Sandra - Neil always delivers for me. I know lots of people dislike him, but I haven't read anything I haven't enjoyed.

@ Vivian - I gave up on princesses before Mulan (since I'm a thousand years old). Don't even get me started on my hatred for the Let It Goooooooooooooooooooooooo song, though ; )

Vivian We'll if you're ever strapped down by Lilliputians, Mulan is my recommend.

Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈ MMMM that artwork makes me drool......WANT!

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Yeah it's soooo pretty. I will own this one for sure : )

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ I've read about half of this but have been so busy with other stuff that I haven't finished it yet. Maybe tonight! It'll be interesting to see what side of the fence I fall on. Great review!

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Thanks Tadiana! (And thanks again for the recommendation)

message 14: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Okay so I know you've probably heard it way to many times but I saw a clip the other day and every time I see your name it starts in my head...

"Your smile is so lovely, your hair is so clean...Kelly, Kelly Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, K-E-L-L-Y? because you're Kelly, Kelly,Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, Kelly (and well you know the rest).

Anyhow, great gif's and review :)

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Ha! Blast from the past ; )

message 16: by Terence (new)

Terence It sounds if you'd enjoy What if Disney Princesses had mothers?
description

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Terence wrote: "It sounds if you'd enjoy What if Disney Princesses had mothers?

These are a few of my favorites. Seriously though she can have a tiger, but she can't go outside."

Lol! Thank you, Terence! These are priceless!

message 18: by Terence (new)

Terence Tadiana ✩ Night Owl☽ wrote: "Lol! Thank you, Terence! These are priceless! "

I love them there are a few more if you search What if Disney Pirncesses had mothers. A friend of mine shared them on Facebook a while ago.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Hahahaha!!!!! These are great : )

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ I finally finished this book myself, and just posted my review. :)

message 21: by Sam (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sam Quixote Christopher wrote: "Sam hates like 90% of things that have made it to print though."

Those 90% had it coming!

Christopher Sam wrote: "Christopher wrote: "Sam hates like 90% of things that have made it to print though."

Those 90% had it coming!"

Probably very true. You do tend to read indie stuff most people haven't even heard of.

Cecily Yes, so very pretty. Nice review, too!

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Thank you Cecily : )