mina's Reviews > The Shadow Throne

The Shadow Throne by Django Wexler

Jan 21, 2016

Janus and his soldiers (including my favourite characters in the book: Marcus and Winter, but most of the time without their First Battalion) are back in Vordan, and find themselves (or in case of Janus, puts himself) in direct confrontation with the Last Duke, Orlanko. Around 80% of the book is dedicated to politics and revolution, so there is not too much story of that smart strategy of Janus'. But again, isn't there? Like Marcus, I have a suspicion that Janus might have planned everything in details, and he might have a help, a seeing eye. I mean, all those times he spent studying the art of magic, he must have gained some skill secretly. Yeah, I know Janus said that it is only a game of chess against a strong opponent: he's just considering all possibilities and simply positioning his people where they are most possibly required for the success of his plan. But he seems too all-knowing about everything.

Other than Winter's and Marcus' point-of-view, we also get 2 other POVs: Orlanko's, and Raesinia's, the princess, who seems a potentially exciting character at the beginning, but is reduced to uninteresting later in the book. There is also two short POVs from Ionkovo, which I expect will come again in Book 3.

And finally we meet Jane. She has been mentioned too many times in Book 1 (in every one of Winter's dreams), and I have a horrible feeling like when I read the Gentleman Bastard series, when Sabetha finally showed up in Book 3 and I hated her because she made Locke felt bad (and looked bad as a character) most of the time. Less romantic stories in fantasy books, please!

All in all, a good story, not as exciting as the first one, though.
Now, I should go immediately to the bookstore for Book 3. Why? It's because of the last word in Book 2!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow Throne.

Started Reading
January 21, 2016 – Shelved
January 21, 2016 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Silvana (new)

Silvana Wih seru ya? Do you think I'm gonna like it?

mina Buku 1-nya aku suka bangeeeeet! Kurasa dirimu akan suka. Salah satu karakternya cewek, disguising as a (male) soldier :D
Buku 2-nya ini gak gitu asik, tapi diriku berharap buku 3-nya akan sama bagusnya dengan Buku 1.

message 3: by Silvana (new)

Silvana sip, masuk list dulu :D