Hannah's Reviews > The Darkest Corners

The Darkest Corners by Kara Thomas

Jan 20, 2016

liked it
bookshelves: unreliable-narrator, suspense-thriller, mystery, netgalley-arc-sa

Thanks to Random House Publishers for my advance review copy of The Darkest Corners.
As an intro: The Darkest Corners, by Kara Thomas, is a YA mystery/thriller with a superficial coating of grit, a Pretty-Little-Liars vibe, and an emphasis on twists and turns which left me ultimately unconvinced.
The plot centers around Tessa, who in the present day is a high school senior in Florida who lives with her grandmother. Tessa wants nothing more than to put the traumatic events of her childhood behind her, but when she gets word that her father, a criminal sentenced to life in prison, is on his deathbed, Tessa feels compelled to return to her home town of Fayette Pennsylvania, to bid him goodbye.
However, once Tessa gets "home," she realizes she is in for way more than she bargained for. A mystery from her past, involving a serial killer who she helped put behind bars, starts to reassert itself in her present. As bad things begin to happen, Tessa decides to investigate the decade-old mystery on her own (after all, if the police haven't been able to solve it, maybe she can!).
So where to begin? First, I was not impressed or especially drawn to Tessa as a character. Her actions proved her to be a decent, thoughtful person, but I got the feeling that author Kara Thomas was trying to add some cool angst a la the characters of Gillian Flynn. So, as well as a whole lot of "life sucks" attitude, Tessa also occasionally threw in an intentionally witty one-liner which seemed entirely out of character, and instead, like something that a writer had spent an awful lot of time crafting.
The problems I had with Tessa were amplified with the rest of the cast of characters, who never felt coherent or real to me. This was a problem for me as a reader, because the mystery is primarily character based...it's about discovering secrets that people "you thought you knew" were hiding. Since I didn't have a strong sense of the characters to begin with, the reveals lost any kind of deep emotional impact.
Finally, I didn't like the ultimate twist that the story took, again, based largely on the fact that it didn't seem supported (or unsupported) by anything that came before. It didn't feel organic. I also had a problem with some of the logic that went into a main action sequence...I think this is one of those stories which may not bear up under careful scrutiny.
So ultimately, The Darkest Corners didn't work for me. On the plus side, it was a fast read which kept my attention. But the characters, world, and plot, never seemed real, or absorbed my attention in the way I had hoped that they would.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkest Corners.

January 20, 2016 – Shelved