Bianca St.'s Reviews > Unearthly

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Mar 03, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy, romance, young-adult
Recommended for: any young adult paranormal romance lover

There are books that you put down and go to sleep when it gets too late, thinking 'I'll read more tomorrow.'
There are books that you like but fall asleep while reading them at night because they are not captivating enough.
This book is not like that. This is the kind of book that keeps you up all night, the kind of book that turns hours into minutes and minutes into seconds and you have no idea what time it is but you know you MUST finish the book and find out what happens next. It' s the kind of book that you are scared to finish because you don't want it to end and when you do finish it you feel incredibly excited and sad at the same time.
This is a book where you smile dumbly when the main character is happy and feel an ache in your heart when the heroine is sad.
I must say I haven't read a book like this in a while and I am extremely happy that I picked it up and read it.

This is honestly the best angel book I have read, better than Hush Hush or Halo or anything else. I loved the fact that Clara was only part angel so it didn't feel like she was an angel trying to act like a human, how it is in other angel stories. Also, the fact that part angels didn't get to meet God was a good idea, in my point of view, because the subject of God and 'full' angels was still something mysterious, like it should be.

The character development throughout the book was amazing. (view spoiler)

In my point of view it is hard as a writer to make your readers love a character in the beginning of the book and then make your readers love a character that didn't seem that important in the beginning even more. And it's something that not a lot of writers manage to do. Sometimes the character development happens to fast and it seems as if the character becomes a totally different person. This was not the case with Unearthly.

There are just so many things I loved about this book. I highly recommend it to any young adult paranormal romance lover. :)

Lastly, I want to say bravo to Cynthia Hand for being an amazing author! I will definitely read more of her work in the future!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unearthly.

March 3, 2011 – Shelved
January 6, 2012 – Started Reading
January 6, 2012 –
page 49
11.26% "Holy cow, I'm in love!"
January 6, 2012 –
page 203
46.67% "I'm devouring this book right now. It's different than other angel books but in a good way."
January 7, 2012 – Finished Reading