CoffeeBook Chick's Reviews > Dead Politician Society

Dead Politician Society by Robin Spano

Mar 03, 2011

With its almost vintage 1950s mystery cover, a la graphic novel, I was intrigued.

Clare is just past the age of twenty-one and is a police officer working boring breaking and entering cases and somehow gets a crack at going undercover when the local mayor dies at a political event. Reasons abound for Clare to become a student at the University of Toronto, and her Political Science class offers more than enough suspects to find a killer who has made killing politicians a priority to spread the word about a secret society that won't stand for two-faced elected representatives. Clare can carry a weapon, fix a car, and make rookie mistakes in her first chance to wear a different identity.

I have to admit, I was worried to read it because I had a little bit of a preconceived notion that I might not like it. The story line sounded interesting, but for some reason, I thought it wasn't up my alley -- well, within the first few pages, I was hooked and read it in one sitting, laughing and enjoying the ride along the way. The chapters change from one character's perspective to another, and although it took me a few chapters to feel a little comfortable with it, I fell right into it and had a blast with this. The dialogue was snappy and natural, and the characters were developed and interesting -- Clare's interactions with her "handler," a more senior officer were frustrating and hilarious. I mean, could he just say one nice thing or pat her on the back just once? I wanted her to tell him off but I relished each time she had to meet with him.

Robin Spano has put together exactly what you want in a murder mystery with a strong chick as the lead who's just getting her feet wet in all things law and order. I probably never would have thought to pick up this book had I not had a chance to review it for the Crazy Book Tours, and I'm glad I did. You can better believe it when I tell you that I'm amped and ready to read book two when it comes out.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Politician Society.