Shannon Thompson's Reviews > Wait Till I'm Dead: Uncollected Poems

Wait Till I'm Dead by Allen Ginsberg

bookshelves: favorite-poetry

I first studied Ginsberg and the Beat Generation in college, so I feel very fortunate to read his uncollected poetry now. Ginsberg is tragic, alluring, and maddening, and these poems are no exception. From my favorite—Amnesiac Thirst For Fame—to one about my hometown—Entering Kansas City High, I found this now-collection refreshing yet remarkably the same in regards to brutal social and political discussions and debates. Mixed between it all is a growing narrative of Ginsberg’s failing health, and reading from the beginning to the end becomes an emotional journey through this influential poet’s life. I appreciated the notes at the end, and definitely recommended flipping back and forth between the editor’s comments and the poems. The last two poems about Carl Solomon had me in tears.
Other Favorites: Listening to Susan Sontag, No Way Back to the Past, Louis’ First Night in the Grave, Wyoming, War is Black Magic, Poem (We leave the youthful pennants and the books,)
~SAT
Recommended to: Readers of the Beat Generation and those who want to be challenged by poetry in regards to politics, humanity, mortality, traveling, sex, and drugs.
Favorite Quote: What misery has been created / to drown the joyful chant / of all our souls?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wait Till I'm Dead.

January 19, 2016 – Started Reading
January 19, 2016 – Shelved
January 19, 2016 –
page 112
43.75% ""Snow on the mountain flowers in the room thoughts in the skull.""
January 25, 2016 – Shelved as: favorite-poetry