Yolanda Sfetsos's Reviews > Clancy of the Undertow

Clancy of the Undertow by Christopher Currie

bookshelves: ya-contemporary

This is a book that keeps popping up on my Goodreads timeline, so when I saw it at the library the other day my daughter borrowed it for me.

As soon as I started yesterday afternoon, I found myself sucked right into this story.

Clancy lives in a town called Barwen. She works at the cosmetic stall inside the local shopping centre. She's part of a family that doesn't seem to spend much time together. She loves going to Nature Club and even makes a new friend. She also has a crush on a girl with a boyfriend. So, yeah, there's also that. She's gay and is afraid of anyone finding out.

Her father works for the council and one night is involved in an accident that puts too much attention on their family. Without knowing the facts, the locals start pointing fingers and judging. Clancy keeps going about her business and even seems to get the attention of her crush. But when she makes a move, everything falls apart.

Summarising the plot of this book really doesn't do it justice. There's a lot going on with family, friendship and finding yourself enough to know where you belong. Clancy was a realistic, likeable character who makes some stupid choices when she follows her heart instead of her head. But at the core she's a good person who sticks by the people she cares about.

I loved the family dynamics and how tragedy changes their homelife.

This is such an awesome book. And I especially enjoyed getting all of the Aussie references. :)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clancy of the Undertow.

January 19, 2016 – Shelved
January 19, 2016 – Shelved as: ya-contemporary
January 20, 2016 – Started Reading
January 20, 2016 –
page 183
64.89% "I'm REALLY enjoying this! Love the Aussie-ness. ;)"
January 21, 2016 – Finished Reading