Katie's Reviews > Jackdaw

Jackdaw by K.J. Charles

I can't help myself. I'm completely smitten with K.J. Charles and her stories.

Yikes. This felt a lot heavier that the books in the Charm of Magpies series. But the prevailing themes here are two of my favorites -- insurmountable odds and second-chance romance.

I love carrying the curiosity throughout the entirety of a book for how the characters can possibly get to their happy place. How they can get from the lowest of low points with nothing but pocket lint and a broken heart to find love and a place to belong.

Ben is at the bottom of the barrel, the end of his ropes, and doesn't have a pot to piss in. He's angry. And that's about all he's got to keep him going.

Jonah is a thief by trade, constantly on the run, and a wanted man who narrowly escapes his tight scrapes by running on the wind. Literally. Dude flies.

The thing is--this is just the tip of the iceberg of what's stacked against them. These fellas have lots to work through to get to happy including misunderstandings, lies, Ben's time in the clink that's left him scarred, scared, and angry as a hornet.

So not only are they working through emotional baggage, they've got the law on their tails (the coppers and the office of magical justiciars). They're on the run as somewhat reluctant companions.

What we get is a story of redemption, forgiveness, and turning a new leaf toward an honest and quiet life.

We also get to visit with the characters from the first three books--and that was a treat.

I'm not generally a fan of flashback sequences. There were a few in the first half of the book. They served the purpose of showing us the happier times of Ben and Jonah, which was definitely needed to solidify what they had in the past. They were hot and sweet and, for me, actually helped propel the story forward without giving me whiplash.

The writing...I've fangirled so much over K.J.'s writing in the last week I'm sick of myself. So, I'll spare you any more adjectives and say it's on par with the rest.

And, I won't bore you with these details either, but because I'm a nerdy girl, I had to go Googling jackdaws. And what I found was so, so fitting and amusing to the characterization of Jonah.

This was another epic win.

**Technically, this story can be read as a stand-alone. The characters from the A Charm of Magpies series crop up here and Jonah had a small role in the last book which is discussed in this book in great detail. Personally, I think the knowledge helped.

Also posted on BackPorchReader.com.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jackdaw.

January 19, 2016 – Started Reading
January 21, 2016 – Shelved as: t-series
January 21, 2016 – Shelved as: v-3rd_person
February 2, 2016 – Shelved as: g-historical
March 10, 2016 – Shelved as: x-charles-kj_world_of_magpies

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Awesome review ;)