Simon Howard's Reviews > Heretics: Adventures With The Enemies Of Science

Heretics by Will Storr

One of my favourite books of the year so far. From the blurb, I was expecting this to be an enjoyable (if slightly sneering) debunking of pseudo-science. It's not that. It's a fascinating illustrated discussion of cognitive bias, backed up by astounding and revealing investigative journalism. Storr examines the claims and motives of 'heretics' and 'skeptics' alike in forensic detail - he doesn't pull any punches in his discussion of the latter, which is refreshing and offers new insights.

I've long been a fan of Will Storr's magazine features - I will read almost anything with his byline on it, because his name is almost a guarantee that I'll enjoy this article - but this is the first of his books I've read. It won't be the last.

And now for a public note to self... In the epilogue, there's a line that crystallised a collection of vague thoughts I've had for a few years now, not just/specifically about Skeptics, but about a lot of people who specialise in following the evidence-base. I'm mangling it slightly and adding emphasis so that it makes sense when I come back to this review to find it some years hence:

We tell ourselves a story, we cast the monster and then become vulnerable to our own delusional narrative of heroism. This kind of binary thinking insists upon extremes: heroes and villains, black and white, in-tribes and out. This corrosive instinct is evidence in the so-called 'culture wars'. For many Skeptics, evidence-based truth has been sacralised. It has caused them to become irrational in their judgements of the motives of those with whom they do not agree.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heretics.

January 19, 2016 – Shelved