Bret James Stewart's Reviews > Soulwoven

Soulwoven by Jeff  Seymour

19232021

Jeff Seymour’s Soulwoven is the first book of an epic fantasy series you need to check out. The book itself is nicely done. The cover art is attractive, and the book is written with professional quality design and layout. Self-published books sometimes lag in this area, but Seymour cares enough about his art to do things right.

The story is also intriguing. It is a quest tale wherein the protagonists, primarily brothers Litnig and Cole Jin, set out to prevent the awakening of an evil power after Litnig has been warned via intense dreams. Allies of the dragon have been murdering those who stand in their way. The prince joins with the brothers as do various other characters, including Litnig’s long lost love. The brothers deal with physical horrors, mental horrors, and, as the characters are predominantly young, love issues. The story is well-written, technically, and the characters are given enough space and attention for each to have a distinct personality, which I really like in a tale. Each is, therefore, relatable, even if unlikeable, which adds to the realism and enjoyment of the story. In this vein, I appreciate that the characters sometimes fail, and, as in the real world, it is our failures that mould and often characterize us. This book will keep you reading as you press on, eager to find out what happens. There are a number of cliffhangers, including at the end, but this should not be surprising as it is the first of a series.

Seymour has written a fun fantasy story that works on many levels. I highly recommend it to all those who like a rousing good tale with characters in which you can emotionally invest. I look forward to the next in the saga, and I think you will, too.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soulwoven.

Finished Reading