Amanda's Reviews > Falling for Fate

Falling for Fate by Caisey Quinn

photo da3b031d345be1fa23a11bdd86be7717_zps5qkubftf.png
Tropes: 24

This is a review for Falling for Fate and its prequel Falling for You.

Our leading man, ladies and gentlemen! Isn't he charming? (And yes, he says this to the heroine.)

Falling for Fate opens with Fate coming to New York for her first job. Initially, she was meant to move there with her soon-to-be husband, but when she caught him cheating on her with her best friend, Fate does the move on her own and calls off the wedding. That night when she caught her fiancé and best friend, she ran down the beach where a out of this world handsome man found her, and one thing led to another, and he took her virginity right there on the beach. When he left a few seconds, Fate ran. Now, back to present day and New York, she runs into the man from the beach. Who just happens to be her new boss, Dean. He's spent all his awake moments since that night trying to either forget about the woman who's virginity he took or doing his best to find her, both without much luck. When they meet, Dean wants nothing more than have her again, and Fate is hesitant to do so.

All right, let's just get this out of the way: this book is terrible. The only thing that isn't bad is actually the writing (which is one of the most common complaints about New Adult as a genre). It's good. But it doesn't make up for the rest of the book.

Introducing: our main characters. Dean is your typical creep, sexists/misogynist that the New Adult genre is so good on producing. He shames women for having sex, and treats them like sex objects. So when he finds Fate, our virgin heroine, and finds out she's a virgin, he falls in love. Suddenly he believes he has some kind of say in what she does with her body.

Excuse me for not worshiping the ground he walks on. Misogynist assholes aren't my type, that's all. Besides, Dean's obsession with the fact that Fate was a virgin until he came along is beyond creepy. He's practically more in love with this fact than he is in love with Fate.

In the other corner, we have Fate. Guess what? She loves to shame women too. Not only women having sex, but people in general. For example when Dean fires his female assistant (because she propositioned sex to him at the workplace) the assistant is replaced.

This implying that a woman with a fuller figure and in her forties is to be seen as someone asexual. (I'm not supporting what the first assistant did, sexual harassment is sexual harassment.)

Not to mention that Fate shits all over her own gender repeatedly.

Wonderful people, huh?

But hey, unlikable character aren't the end of the world (or a book). Although, it's clear these aren't supposed to be that unlikable. Usually it's the plot that makes up for that, but in Falling for Fate, that's not the case. The plot is basically Dean and Fate tiptoeing around each other when all they really want to do is jump each other. There's nothing of substance that could be mistaken for a plot. Instead it's raging hormones, Dean obsessing over Fate's taken virginity, and Fate going back and forth like a swing. Which isn't enough to carry a book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Falling for Fate.

January 19, 2016 – Shelved
February 27, 2016 – Started Reading
February 28, 2016 –
3.0% "I know you love those sexy pants suits that scream conservative lesbian, \n \n  photo giphy_zpsuq5hud1m.gif"
February 28, 2016 –
6.0% "Dean fucked women. If he was falling off the earth drunk, he sat back and let women fuck him. But this woman, this woman had been vulnerable and beautiful and alluring in a way that compelled him to take his time. When he’d realized what she was giving him—her virginity—he’d focused all of his attention on her needs, something he’d never done before. \n \n I puke a little every time we're in Dean's head."
February 28, 2016 –
10.0% "I'm going to blame FSoG, but this whole "man goes nuts for woman biting her lip" thing is so overdone now it's making me yawn."
February 28, 2016 –
10.0% "“It damn sure is my business. How can you do your real job if you’re out every night, prancing around half naked behind the bar till God knows when?”\n \n Our leading man, ladies and gentlemen!"
February 28, 2016 –
13.0% "She breathed a sigh of relief as Dean released him. Until he cocked his fist back and punched Owen square in the mouth. \n \n VIOLENT HERO ALERT. I mean, Owen is an ass, but violence is not okay. It certainly isn't justified simply because Dean wants to bang Fate on the nearest surface."
February 28, 2016 –
16.0% "He’d been inside her, dammit. The first man ever. He sincerely hoped he was still the only man ever. \n \n Dean, you misogynist shit, I honestly loathe you. You feel you have some kind of dibs on her because you were her first? Fuck you."
February 28, 2016 –
19.0% "“Well, I hate to break it to you, hon, but he took your virginity, Keaton says he spent the entire summer trying to find you, he punched out another man for touching you, and you just spent the night at his place. If he’s not your man, whose man is he?”\n \n For the punching, I'd say he could be wanted by the police. And for the taking her virginity part, that does not make him "hers" or her "his"."
February 28, 2016 –
19.0% "And now we have them emailing at work FSoG style. This book keeps on its downward spiral."
February 28, 2016 –
22.0% "Women were nuts and had that animal-defending-its-kill mentality when it came to men. \n \n So much rage right now."
February 28, 2016 –
22.0% "And of fucking course the heroine walks into the guy being propositioned a blow job. Which, incidentally, also happened in the first book. Originality at its finest."
February 28, 2016 –
24.0% "If he thought she was some tramp like his little assistant, he was mistaken. \n \n And of course the woman that comes onto the hero is a tramp. I'm not even a tiny bit surprised."
February 28, 2016 –
26.0% "And his slutty assistant had been replaced by a fuller-figured woman who looked to be in her forties.\n \n I don't know who's worse right now, Fate or Dean."
February 28, 2016 –
30.0% "Just like in the first book, we have a supposedly bright heroine - double major, hard worker - risking her first real job for some hot piece of ass - according to her though, to me he's just an ass."
February 28, 2016 –
55.0% "Making love to a woman had seemed to be his one true talent in life. \n \n Except that early in the story he made sure that he doesn't "make love" to women, and that Fate was the first to do that with him. No, the other women was just one night stands or hookups. Editing mistake here."
February 28, 2016 –
55.0% "They were always willing to say whatever it took so that he’d show them a good time. But Dean had learned from experience that, when the good time ended, they were always waiting, waiting to be told that they were the exception to his rules—that they were the one who was different. \n \n I just love it when stories generalize women and shit all over them."
February 28, 2016 –
58.0% "And why not have unprotected sex with a man who just admitted he's slept with more women than he can count? Yeah, sure, your pill will save you from pregnancies, but not the infections that can actually kill you."
February 28, 2016 –
74.0% "You told me you didn’t know if you could offer me more than this weekend and I’ve told you repeatedly that I’m okay with that. I know it’s not the typical female response, \n \n WHY DO YOU KEEP SHITTING ALL OVER YOU OWN GENDER? What kind of anti-feminist bullshit is this?"
February 28, 2016 –
96.0% "This is so cheesy and unrealistic and boring, but trying to be romantic. It might be worse than the entire book together."
February 28, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Obsidian (new)

Obsidian This book is going to give me nightmares. Ugh.