Kereesa's Reviews > American Gods

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Mar 02, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, fantasy-all-others, gods-and-goddesses, own, own-softcovers, own-boxed

American Gods was one of the most original novels I've ever read. Combining mythology with Western culture, American Gods was well-written storywise as well message-wise.
American Gods follows a fellow named Shadow who, just haven gotten out of prison, meets a strange man named Mr. Wednesday who offers him a very interesting job proposal. Without getting into too many spoilers, Shadow accepts the job and finds himself in the middle of a war between the gods of the old world and those created by Western culture. In it he will find acceptance, answers, and maybe a few details about himself as well.
American Gods had one of the most original plot-lines I've ever had the pleasure of reading. Old gods in a world they can barely survive on? and fighting gods that are basically TV? Awesome. American Gods also had the utmost pleasure in pulling the wool over my eyes in flinging such a twist at the end that made me go "So should've seen that coming!" I was so angry I hadn't seen ANY of the big twists coming at the end, especially since there were signs everywhere pointing to it. ARG!
Stylistically Gaiman writes wonderfully. He places everything right where it should be, and carefully ties up all the loose ends. Descriptions are well-done and there's never any confusion to what is happening. All in all this is a wonderful book.
In spite of everything, however I couldn't love this beautiful novel. I certainly liked it quite a bit, and enjoyed it immensely. But I couldn't pass the line between like and love. I couldn't care for the characters enough, and so while interesting and beautifully done, I couldn't love American Gods. 4/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Gods.

March 2, 2011 – Shelved
March 27, 2011 – Started Reading
March 27, 2011 – Shelved as: 2011
March 31, 2011 –
page 141
23.82% "it's good...I just wish I had time to read it"
April 4, 2011 –