Andrea Norton's Reviews > Connecting with Coincidence: The New Science for Using Synchronicity and Serendipity in Your Life

Connecting with Coincidence by Bernard Beitman

I received a copy of Connecting with Coincidence from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

We've all had something strange happen to us that just doesn't make sense - something or someone just seems to fall into our laps, and no matter how we try to make sense of it, nothing can explain it except coincidence.

For many years, I prayed to God to get me out of the relationship that led to my first marriage. Nothing happened, and I didn't do anything to help myself. I settled in, resigned to the life I had. Then, in September 2010, two weeks before I was getting married, my best friend begged me to go to a bar with her. Her family from the east coast was in town and she wanted me to meet them.

I did not want to go anywhere that night. I was tired and crabby. So, of course, I went. I knew the bar well, we were regulars at the time. I dragged myself in and she found me, pulling me along to meet her cousins.

That night, I met Sean, my current husband. He was not supposed to be there. He wasn't supposed to be out of the city he was living in, let alone in another state (military rules). Yet, he was there. He says that he had to come to my state. He didn't know why, but he felt like he had to be here.

This is one of those time stops situations. We met and everything stood still. Normally, if I don't want to go somewhere, I don't go. Yet I went that night. Everything stopped the second we met, and we both knew it was all over for us - we were meant to be together.

We ended up not talking for a year and both went crazy. The pull was too powerful and it drew us back together, and here we are. We had one person in common - my best friend who is his cousin. There is no rhyme or reason for us being where we were at the same time. So many factors had to come into play for this to happen, and so much was working against us.

Sean and I have gone over this so many times, trying to figure it out. All we can come up with is my prayer was answered and I was smart enough to go out that night, and he broke a rule to follow a pull - but is that a coincidence?

This book will answer that question and many more. Backed by real-world stories, long studies and science, you'll learn just how coincidence plays a role in life and how you can increase that chances of things happening to you.

There is an exploration on lucky people vs. unlucky people, and if coincidence plays a role here. Any situation you can imagine - money, medical, love - is examined. You will learn just how connected people are and in what ways.

One thing you won't get is this: you are not told what to believe. It's up to you, and you will have plenty of evidence to consider your decision. All sides are examined, there is no bias here. Mr. Beitman tells you his story and his view but he does not push it on you and he doesn't hide anything from you.

Although this is a serious book, it's a lot of fun, too. I'd recommend this to anyone looking to answer the question of coincidence and those interested in psychology. I enjoyed where my thoughts went with this one, and I feel like I've had some questions answered.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Connecting with Coincidence.

January 19, 2016 – Shelved
January 30, 2016 – Shelved as: nonfiction
January 30, 2016 – Shelved as: reference
January 30, 2016 – Shelved as: self-help
January 30, 2016 –
1.0% "This sounds pretty interesting."
January 30, 2016 –
1.0% "Oh, I just saw that HCI is the publisher - even better!"
January 30, 2016 –
2.0% "Clear introduction that lays out what the book will offer."
January 30, 2016 –
7.0% "I used to have something called The Link with a very significant person in my life. I severed it almost two years ago, and had no idea what it truly was. I do now, thanks to chapter 1. Never before has The Link made sense like this."
January 30, 2016 –
17.0% "In my review, I will tell the story of Sean and I meeting. There is no rhyme or reason for it, and we had just one person in common. We lived 1200 miles apart, yet met in person in my hometown. More in my review."
January 30, 2016 –
25.0% "What makes coincidences happen, with many stories of real world people as proof."
January 30, 2016 –
36.0% "There is an important caution on coincidence in this chapter (chapter 4)"
January 30, 2016 –
70.0% "Once again my updates are getting lost in the interwebs."
January 30, 2016 –
100.0% "Once again my updates are getting lost in the interwebs."
January 30, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016-growth