M.E. Kinkade's Reviews > Uprooted

Uprooted by Naomi Novik

liked it

I don't know that I've ever boomeranged so intensely about a book. When I started reading, I would have easily given it a 5-star rating. At the end, I wanted to give it a 2. So I'm compromising and giving it a 3.
"Uprooted" is an incredible idea for anyone who likes dark fairy tales—or, you know, the originals. At the beginning, at least, it's a Eastern European-flavored "Brothers Grimm" (yes, that wonderful/terrible movie!). And it's rhapsodic! It's so great! We follow the main character, (who I called "Agnes" in my head because I couldn't figure out how to pronounce it), a peasant girl without much in her favor, as she is swept up by a stern and mysterious wizard to live for a term of 10 years in his brooding and chilly tower. He is known as "the Dragon," and the story opens with a clever play on the "dragon abducting virgins" trope. In fact, that's what I loved about the beginning: it is SO clever, and has such beautiful writing, and is so unexpected in so many ways. Things in the evil Wood were literally downright terrifying in ways you never see in modern fairytales anymore; Novik really knew how to make them scary!
And I was so completely on board—yes, this! Give me more of this! It's so wonderful!

And then I started to get annoyed. And then really really pissed off.
The following airing of the grievances will be spoilery. Stop now if you're thinking of reading it and want to be surprised.
(view spoiler)
And the last thing that annoyed me was purely in the writing: characters seeming to think things to themselves but other characters answering as if they'd been speaking, and characters having multiple names, not always with the new name explained or even introduced in a logical way. The first issue made it seem like characters were reading minds, and that was just weird and unnecessary, and the second issue made it seem like there were a lot more characters than there really were, and then I had to go back and reread to figure stuff out.

I don't know what to make of this book. I LOVED the first half. It was amazing. I loved the characters, I loved the ideas, I was afraid of the scary things, the writing was beautiful. The end was pretty okay, I guess, even if I disagree with a few nits. But from midway to nearly the end? Throw that right out. Rubbish.
Read at your own risk.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Uprooted.

January 19, 2016 – Started Reading