Suzanne (Chick with Books) Yester's Reviews > Sunstone, Vol. 1

Sunstone, Vol. 1 by Stjepan Šejić

Jan 18, 2016

bookshelves: books-read-2016, graphic-novels

Can an erotic BDSM graphic novel also be a romantic comedy? I guess it can, because Sunstone by Stjepa Sejic has all the obvious elements of BDSM, but it also has warmth, humor, honesty and a real love story. Though I have read erotic romances, I haven't had any BDSM in my TBR pile, but when I read Sunstone, I wasn't so much into the BDSM as I was into the humanity of the characters. Stjepa Sejic was able to actually have me feel the butterflies Lisa and Ally were starting to feel for one another. A love story that goes beyond whether they are two women and digs deeper and makes us think about why we feel the way we do about someone. How we start to fall in love. What it means to care and trust someone.

The Gist of the Story... Ally and Lisa are two "over 21" women, who met at an online chat "group". After a few months of "chatting, webcams and yes, virtual sex", Lisa asks Ally if she'd like to actually meet. (You find all this out, along with some history of the women growing up with a few pages of backstory). It is at this point the story really starts, and we get to experience their pre-first date jitters. When Lisa finally knocks on Ally's front door, the fun begins. And not just the "sex", which is alluded to more than actually shown. You'll see these two beautiful women in sexy outfits (what man could resist drawing that?), and in some suggestive poses, but then the bedroom door closes and they are given some privacy. The "fun" of the story really is Ally and Lisa getting to know each other and the things they are thinking and "not saying". Outside the bedroom they are just two girlfriends navigating life (and learning about BDSM as first timers with each other). There is one other major character at this point in time and that's Ally's friend (ex-boyfriend kinda), Alan, who we meet when he pops in after date #2.

Reading Sunstone Volume 1, I genuinely liked Lisa and Ally. They're dialogue is great, and the story has substance. For me the BDSM took a backseat to Ally & Lisa's budding friendship and romance. Good story,well developed characters, absolutely beautiful artwork and 5 stars from me. I look forward to reading the rest of the series.

P.S. In the first volume, after the story, author Stjepa Sejic shares how Sunstone came about. That in itself is a great story!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sunstone, Vol. 1.

January 18, 2016 – Started Reading