Maryann's Reviews > 61 Hours

61 Hours by Lee Child

Mar 02, 2011

Read in February, 2011 — I own a copy

Another great thriller from Lee Child. Jack Reacher gets better and better with each story. The book is set in South Dakota in the middle of winter and a horrible blizzard. I had to put on extra sweaters just to keep reading. I've been to SD in a blizzard and it is no fun.

Reacher gets stuck in SD when the tour bus he is riding on breaks down near a small city and everyone is stuck until the weather clears. The local police department is protecting a witness who is going to testify at the trial of some bikers who were caught selling meth, but there is a very nasty man who does not want her to testify. Because all of the department has to respond if there is an attempted escape from the prison built in their backyard, Reacher realizes that the witness will be left unprotected if the alarm sounds. So he stays.

There is also the mystery of the old military buildings that were built 50 years ago, but nobody knows why or what may still be stored out there. It is suspected that the bikers are using the facilities as labs for making meth, but there has been no evidence found.

This was a great read, and the last few chapters had me so hooked, I couldn't put the book down. I was a bit disappointed with what happens to two characters - no details as I don't want to spoil the read - and I wondered why Child chose to take the story down that path.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 61 Hours.