Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms) 's Reviews > Love Fortunes and Other Disasters

Love Fortunes and Other Disasters by Kimberly Karalius

bookshelves: cover-love, cute, funny, 2016-diverse

Boricuan Bookworms- Book Reviews
“You could try me out sometime, you know, with the dating thing.” His tone was teasing. “Who knows? We could fall in love.”

This story is all kinds of cute! It’s set in a very quirky town where charms and predictions and magic are an every day occurrence. Every year they congregate in Zita’s Love Charms Shop to get a prediction about their love lives (which always comes true).

I really enjoyed this book! The protagonist, Fallon, was a bit difficult to relate to at first because she was so juvenile and immature. However I realize that she was 15 years old, so seeing her grow and learn throughout the story was really enjoyable.

In fact, I really liked all of the characters in this book. They’re all really nicely developed and I loved how they were all original and easily distinguishable. They all make the story better; I’m excited for the next book because it’s going to be about a character I really liked in this one! :)

This being a Swoon Reads title, you can be sure there was a really cute and swoony romance. Sebastian and Fallon are an unlikely couple at first; Sebastian was the kind of guy who didn’t take relationships seriously while Fallon was the kind of girl who’s life revolved around finding "the one". Fallon can’t stand Sebastian at first, and I always love romances that are like that! As they get to know each other, and see what lies beneath the surface, their romance keeps developing and getting as adorable as ever. By the end I was swooning with their romance because it was absolutely adorable!

I like that this book also has a small thrilling aspect on the side that brings together a couple of characters so they can “rebel” against Zita and her predictions. I thought it was a great way to keep me passing the pages and to guess what was happening next!

I read this in a couple of hours! The way it’s written definitely makes for a quick read, not to mention the writing is so easy to devour! I really couldn’t help but keep passing the pages. The story demanded to be read!

Overall, this is definitely a book that puts the Swoon in Swoon Reads. It was romantic, quirky, and funny. The writing was on point, the characters were relatable and lovable, the storyline was enthralling, and it all wrapped up nicely with a bit of magical realism that really brought the story together. I can’t wait for the next installment in this series!

My Amazon Review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Fortunes and Other Disasters.

January 18, 2016 – Started Reading