Laura's Reviews > Parvana's Journey

Parvana's Journey by Deborah Ellis

Mar 02, 2011

bookshelves: modern-realistic, young-adult, set-in-asia
Read in March, 2011

I've been reading this book off-and-on since school began. Sometimes I'm just not able to take the casual brutality being related. "Parvana's Journey" clearly illustrates the indifference of war.

I read "The Breadwinner" a few years ago because I was looking for something for my preAP students to read. I want them to learn more about what life is like outside of the United States; I want them to learn that life in the US is so easy so we ought not take it for granted.

Then I was told that parents had protested "The Breadwinner." Some were protesting because they had family serving in Aghanistan; others were disturbed by the way life in Afghanistan was portrayed; others were afraid that middle-schoolers are too young to understand the Taliban and the way women are treated in Afghanistan.

I believe "The Breadwinner," "Parvana's Journey," and "Three Cups of Tea" ought to be read by American teens, especially those we expect to be leaders. They ought to learn about life outside their small spheres.

And so ought their parents.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Parvana's Journey.

03/22/2017 marked as: read

message 1: by N (new) - rated it 5 stars

N Bravo! Well said!

Laura Vicky wrote: "Bravo! Well said!"
Thank you!