Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)'s Reviews > Haunted on Bourbon Street

Haunted on Bourbon Street by Deanna Chase

Haunted on Bourbon Street is book one in the Jade Calhoun series by Deanna Chase.

I’m baffled on this one. I feel like I’m missing a book or a prequel to this novel. Their are connections with characters that I just don’t understand which makes me wonder if their was something before this novel.

As for the mystery it is second to the relationships and romance in Haunted on Bourbon Street. I prefer it to be the other way around.

Jade is unimpressive. I wanted to like her, but she is just too reserved. She’s an empath with a talent for creating glass. When we start the story she’s in need of a place to stay and it so happens that an affordable apartment opened up over the club next door to the coffee shop she works at. What bothered me about Jade is that she acts like she knows her stuff and what she’s doing, but she has no idea. She couldn’t even figure out that their where two different ghost. One haunting her and the other her friend Pyper. To top it off she couldn't figure out that one was good and the other evil.

Theirs a bit of romance blooming between Jade and Kane. The one thing that irritated me was the big blow up with Kane. Jane was defiantly being hypocritical. It was just unnecessary drama.

We are also introduced to several characters. New friends, old friends, exes and of course ghosts. One character that stood out, not in a good way, was Ian an expert ghost hunter. Unfortunately he’s not an export. We spent a lot of the story with him running around with his gadgets doing readings and then having him talk about those results. It was annoying and not interesting in the least. Now, Pyper I really enjoyed her. She was fun and energetic.

As for the mystery it takes about 70% for the characters to learn who the ghosts are and what to do about them. The author crammed a lot of the stuff into the last third of the book. It’s where we get most of the world building and explanations and motives.

Haunted on Bourbon Street was ok. Some areas of the book where interesting and others fell flat. If the blurb intrigues you, I urge you to give it a shot. Just because it did not work for me does not mean it won’t for you.

Rated: 2 Stras

angelsgp-seethisreview-blure

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Haunted on Bourbon Street.

January 18, 2016 – Shelved
January 18, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
January 18, 2016 – Shelved as: freebie-online
April 27, 2019 – Started Reading
April 28, 2019 –
April 28, 2019 –
April 29, 2019 –
April 29, 2019 –
71.0% "I’m not sure what to make of this novel...."
April 29, 2019 – Shelved as: 2-stars
April 29, 2019 – Shelved as: kindle-own-library
April 29, 2019 – Finished Reading
May 14, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-backlist-reading-challenge
May 14, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-for-the-love-of-ebooks
May 14, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-try-something-new

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine Fabulously reviewed Angela!💖💋

Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures) Kat wrote: "Fabulously reviewed Angela!💖💋"

Thank you!